Raptor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share a little trick thats used in the streetbike world alot. Buying 4 needles and seats per bike can get expensive.

If your old float needles and seats are leaking, or you are cleaning your carb, i suggest you try this. I just recently used this trick on a 95zx6r that sat outside for 3 years with water in the carbs and it fired up and didn't overflow anymore, and ive done it to many set of carbs over the years.

Take some q-tips and cut them in half. These are your polishers. Put the cut end in an electric drill, add polish (toothpaste works, i prefer jewelers rouge) and buff the inside of the seats. This will remove any tarnish and leave the seats very clean and smooth.

For the needles, simply soak them in armorall. I use brake cleaner lids for cups and just regular armorall. This helps to renew the rubber and soften it up again.

Clean with carb cleaner and re-install. It may not fix every leak, but its worked wonders on all but two of the bikes ive done.

Good luck and I hope my contribution helps someone out. I can add pics if needed.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Great idea - I'll try it next time I come across a nasty seat/needle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts