Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, and only have posted once before... I was curious on what to expect for repair costs. I just bought a 01 660R on Craigslist, and took it right to the dealer to get it serviced. They said that they were going to go through it and replace the battery, chain, sprockets, clean the carbs, change out the liquids, etc. What would be a estimate on the price for a service of this nature? I know that the battery needed to be replaced, and the chain and sprockets were probably original, so I don't have a issue with them being replaced. If for nothing else, just for peace of mind. I ride pretty rough, so I thought it better that it get a detailed service before I take it out and possibly blow it up.
So and ideas, and or suggestions on the cost, and what else I should ask the mechanic when I pick it up?
Thanks!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

They should have provided you with an estimate for costs, so you could approve prior to their work... but I would guess that you're looking at $500 to $700 for the list of tasks that you described. (would be around $200 if you did it yourself)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great! That is right about the range I was quoted. I wanted to double check, as I haven't used this dealers services before.
I would typically do the maintenance myself, but I wanted a professional to give it a once over just to make sure that nothing major is going on.

Follow up question: Is there anything in particular I should have him look at while it is there? Moving forward, how often (hrs) am I going to need to be doing a through maintenance.
Thanks again,
D.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'm confused, so they did quote you a price on how much it was going to cost you for all of this stuff? If so, I'm not sure why you were wondering what we thought it would run. Typically a dealership is always going to have the highest prices as far as a service goes. You are always better off doing things yourself to save money if you can, especially with things as simple as changing out fluids and replacing a battery, chain, and sprockets, but like you said, you wanted a once over done on it. Have fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
this shits so easy to do. Only thing i would need outside help with when it comes to the actual repairs is machine work.
Id say the battery would run you about 45 to 60 bucks for a decent one, a decent chain and sprocket kit 80 bucks. Yamalube is 6 bucks a quart, the yamaha filter is 16 bucks (autozone instead). Cleaning the carburetors is simple, i did it in about 2 hours over the weekend, taking my time with some buddys over.
If you still wanted the once over you can pay the labor rate at the dealership for an hour but theyre only going to try to up sell shit that probably isnt a big deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 on Do it yourself. You will have fun and the most important you will learn. Buy the service manual, everything is there step by step. Any aditional questions just ask here. I didnt know how to do anything on my quad when i bought it neither

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The dealer did quote me a price initially, and then before they started working on it... it went up of course. The reason that I asked what you guys thought is because I wanted a honest second opinion since I don't have any experience with this dealer services. They were in the ballpark.
With that being said, I will be doing my own work moving forward. The only reason that I took it to the dealer is because I just bought it, and I wanted to get a professional opinion on if it was taken care of by the previous owner, and if there was anything majorly wrong (I always do this before I take out anything that I buy used). It doesn't sound like there is. I am taking it out this weekend, and will see if I can bring it back in one piece.
I have been riding on the dirt and street for about 35 years, so I am confident that I can wrench on it...But, like I said - It is always good to get a professional opinion first, and then go from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts