Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not difficult by any means, but wow! You have to remove the entire right side case cover! Why couldn't they make it simpler by having a clutch access-type case cover? You know, like on ALL the other high quality sport atvs (namely my yfz)!! Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket case cover which alleviates this? I would consider replacing mine in the future if there was such a product. By the way, I ended up going with the Tusk kit with heavy duty springs. Hope I made a good decision!!

DJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
if you can replace the internals of the clutch with the three gytr clutch parts. you get much quicker revs and its alot snappier in every gear. the gytr parts are 30% lighter. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
LHCRAPPY said:
if you can replace the internals of the clutch with the three gytr clutch parts. you get much quicker revs and its alot snappier in every gear. the gytr parts are 30% lighter. :grin_nod:
Actually, that is very true. I did it on my YFZ and it made every bit as much difference as going to the -5 flywheel, I think it was -5? Anyway, it made as much if not more difference than the lighter flywheel. Made it explosive out of corners!

Oh, and with the quick access clutch cover.....were hosed on the 700, if you look how they decided to route the clutch arm that actuates the pressure plate...its nothing like the YFZ. The YFZ is mounted on the other side of the motor. The 700 is right there on the clutch side, making it damn near impossible to make a quick access cover.

+ the time and money it would take to build a new case cover WITH a removable clutch cover WITH the way the clutch arm comes in......it would not be cost effective.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer..... but I agree. Like I said it wasn't difficult to replace, just increased the work load due to the design.

DJ

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Ken of Kenz cycle tech designed one for the 660R raptors and in time I would not be suprised if he came up with something for the 700R

that would be really nice! Though, once you replace it the first time with gytr/hinson parts, and HD clutch/springs...how much more often do you need in there? It shouldnt be a normal wear item........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the point... and it is a normal wear item.....

I feel Yamaha made a bike which can be competitive in a slew of markets. From a bike anyone can ride to 'the bike to beat'. I just figured certain areas were not addressed as they could have been. Then again, they build it, and we WILL pick it apart. That's what makes us special ;)

DJ

·
Registered
172 Posts
How long do you think you can expect the raptor clutches to last? But yes i agree with you they should have made the clutch a little easier to get to.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
xcnick38 said:
i believe hinson is manufacturing a entire case half which will include a quick acess clutch cover...
that would be trick!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wicked269 said:
It's the point... and it is a normal wear item.....

I feel Yamaha made a bike which can be competitive in a slew of markets. From a bike anyone can ride to 'the bike to beat'. I just figured certain areas were not addressed as they could have been. Then again, they build it, and we WILL pick it apart. That's what makes us special ;)

DJ
I guess its your idea of "regular wear item". I am still running the stock clutch plates in my 04 yfz and it had oodles of hp running threw it. I also raced it, and ALWAYS rode it hard. Still fine though....but I did have the GYTR clutch components in her.
As far as "regular wear"......yeah, they wear....and when you start messing with the motor on the 700, it will wear faster....but stock to 3-modded 700's, shouldnt be "wearing out" unless you are 250lbs and dumping the clutch non-stop.
Its not as "regular" as many other items on the machine. It certainly wont be very "regular" when you add the hinson/gytr clutch parts and an HD clutch kit!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
in all actuality it is proven that dumping or releasing very fast will cause less wear on a clutch....the only time the clutch wears is when you slip it to take off or slip it going up a hill........once the clutch is released it operates as one assy with the spring pressure holding it as one assy..........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Boom and Nutz! You are correct. My yfz had the stock clutch till the day I got rid of it. Never had a problem. With my 180lb azz, launching in second gear at olds and the other hills is where I killed it (the rappy). I would feather it slightly keeping the front just off the ground then kick it into third. My take offs were awesome compared to most (not all) the other contestants, but hell on the clutch.

DJ

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
loose nutz said:
in all actuality it is proven that dumping or releasing very fast will cause less wear on a clutch....the only time the clutch wears is when you slip it to take off or slip it going up a hill........once the clutch is released it operates as one assy with the spring pressure holding it as one assy..........
I totally get what your saying and agree mostly, but thats not all true. You keep dumping the clutch when there is traction, or load, and it will toast your clutch. I do agree though, that feathering is what really eats up the life.....creates heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.