Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my mag and stator last night, how do I check if it is charging the battery? I put a multimeter on the battery terminals, and it is reading 12.32v while running. Also I was running it off a jump box, I thought the bike would stay running if I disconnected the box, but it dies instantly. What could be my problem?
Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
960 Posts
it could be a bad rectificator i cant spell it or say it so it is that little ribbed box back by your coolent resivor that could be bad unplug it to see if you run

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ironraptor04 said:
it could be a bad rectificator i cant spell it or say it so it is that little ribbed box back by your coolent resivor that could be bad unplug it to see if you run

If the bike dies, does that mean its bad?, or how else can I test my system?
thx

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the motor stays running without the rectifier connected but won't run with it connected, then the rectifier is bad, this assumes you've checked the wiring harness first and it's OK.
When checking the charging circuit you could put the meter on with the motor running and record the voltage, then compare it to the voltage with the motor off. Charging voltage should be around 13.8 to 14.5vdc.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
ironraptor
http://dictionary.reference.com/

rec·ti·fi·er [rek-tuh-fahy-er]
1. a person or thing that rectifies.
2. Electricity. an apparatus in which current flows more readily in one direction than the other, for changing an alternating current into a direct current.
3. the apparatus that in distillation separates the most volatile material by condensing it; condenser.

In case you were concerned. :p

·
Registered
960 Posts
lol smarty pants lol i like how i spelt it lol but thanks i did know what it was called i just never call it by that i always forget lolz

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same problem, I pulled my rectifier and i get a spark, but when i put the rectifier off my brothers raptor (same year and runs fine) I still do not get a spark.
Any ideas, cause i dont get it, does this mean it is my stator.
Help please !!!! Im supposed to go to the dunes in a couple days, thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,553 Posts
trustinshadow said:
I am having the same problem, I pulled my rectifier and i get a spark, but when i put the rectifier off my brothers raptor (same year and runs fine) I still do not get a spark.
Any ideas, cause i dont get it, does this mean it is my stator.
Help please !!!! Im supposed to go to the dunes in a couple days, thanks
You have a bad stator. The charge coils have a short to the pulse or hv coil. Follow the stator troubleshooting section in the manual to verify.

You can run without the rectifier/regulator if you must. Just minimize the number of starts and don't run your lights. Charge it thorougly before going out and bring jumper cables along, till you get this fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not at all likely that i have a wirring issue as well, just wondering because when i first started working on it before pulling the rec. i got a little spark once.
Thanks for the help either way i can ride

·
Master of the Electron
15,553 Posts
With a short in the windings (which may be intermittent, by the way) and with the rec/reg connected, you may still get sparks, but the voltage may be very low and or the timing may be way off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts