Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:satan: ok so most my friends have 450's....and one of the one's with a trx 450 just added a white brothers slip on, but didn't rejet, i told him to make sure to do it asap, he said it runs fine without it,and then goes on to say he hopes i don't donate sperm because then there will be more idiots thinking that raptors are fast.....by not rejeting is he going to run rich? or lean...and also,about how long untill something happens? i know it will take some time, but i wanna be there when it does so i can laugh,and mayyyybe if i'm nice, pull him back to camp....he is claming he is going to smoke me up comp hill in dumont. so is my buddy with the yfz, i just bought the paddles, 20x10x10 10pdl haulers, but i'm worried they will rob power like i was told, so i'm going to run stock a couple races. then go to paddles...what you guys think? how long till i can laugh at him for killing his engine? :mad: :thumbsup:
and can say, i told ya to rejet.!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
if not rejeting for an exhaust, it will make him run lean.
dunno how long it will take for damage to occur, if any though

~edit~
if its only a slip in exhaust, he will probably get away with it

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
let him run his machine lean.....sounds like a dick. He is more than likely ruining his machine and he is not getting full power out of it. He doesnt know what he is doing or what he is talking about....just trying to make uneducated pokes while ruining his machine......I too would laugh like hell when his machine breaks.....but that all depends on how lean its running. If it was a yfz and you did that, it probably wouldnt take much time at all.
I would definately not run stock tires in the sand if you want to win any race. The stockers suck!
Is your 700 stock....or what all do you have done to it.
stock to stock the 700 is faster for sure
mod for mod the 700 is faster.....but once you start modding a 450 and leaving a 700 stock it gets pretty "iffy".

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was racing against a 700 with haulers, except he shaved it down to six paddles. Let's just say he was killing me with a lot less mods no matter the rider. You could try shaving them down. He went the extra mile and smoothed down the surface too.

As for burning up his engine, I would warn him one last time and then you won't feel guilty pulling him back to camp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will have a hard time beating that YFZ up the hill. Gravity is not nice to the extra 50 lbs you're gonna be carrying, this is assuming you guys are about the same body weight of course. Hill shooting is where the 450's shine. Keep him on the flat drags if you can.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i never thought about shaving them down, is that something a regular tire should would do? or do i need to find a race shop? and what would it cost to shave off 2 paddles from my haulers? that's a good idea, i never woulda thought about that... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i've been told that 10 pdls will be to much, but i was thinking about that more and i doubt i'd want to do that. im' going to try them the way they are and then if i don't like i'll just get different ones.

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah... 10 MIGHT be too much, but cutting off two would most likely unbalance the tire a great deal, AND cause unnecissary vibration due to the large area of NO traction where the paddle was. If I were you, I'd look to swap someone who has an 8 paddle, or just run the 10s and see how they do. The only real reason that I can think of that 10 would be too many, is the loss of power due to the extra friction of extra paddles... but that would be tiny, almost negligable. In reality, the reason I think they don't run more paddles than that is that the machine isn't heavy enough to SINK the paddles all the way down if you have too many... thus making them less efficient. A machine with larger tires, (more space between paddles) or just more weight would probably be just fine to run more paddles.

-SS

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
He would be taking off four, 10-4=6 :grin_nod: Just kidding. Anyway, send them into skat track they replace paddles and do customizations all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
MidnightRider said:
You will have a hard time beating that YFZ up the hill. Gravity is not nice to the extra 50 lbs you're gonna be carrying, this is assuming you guys are about the same body weight of course. Hill shooting is where the 450's shine. Keep him on the flat drags if you can.

I have found just the opposite. One of my riding buddies has a hard running YFZ, full pipe, no air box, cam mod and tricked out FCR carb with a +4''swinger and a JJ&A light weight play axle.Were pretty close on flat drags and if I even let him get me by a hair on the start he'll get me by a tire.
On the Hills I can put 3 bikes on him unless I screw up and wheelie big time on the start.
I have had simular results with all the other bolt on YFZ's I have raced. The torque of the 700R more than makes up for the weight difference unless you add a whole bunch of armor and take it up in weight. Just my take from what I have run up aganst at the dunes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know everyone thinks a YFZ 450 is faster, but I dont get it.

700r = 686 cc 396lb 32 inch seat height 50.4 wheel base

YFZ 450 = 449cc 350lb 31.9 inch seat height 50.4 wheel base

These arguments about what is faster is stupid. With all the mods on the market you never really know which is gonna win till they are raced against each other. Too many factor involved.

I could of bought a YFZ 450 but picked the 700r because is better for where I ride and has reverse. The only complaint I knew of of raptors was they sit higher than YFZ's and where narrower. None of it is true on the 700r's over the 660's

Just my 2cents and I am sticking to it.

The 700r's where made for dunes and trails ( the reverse was put their for a reason )
The 450's are made for MX
These machines where engineered for the above purposes.

Bottom line is the 700r is a faster machine in the long run. Most people run drags over short distances so YFZ general do better off the line as they are designed to for MX racing. But if I was gonna race it would be a 1mile run and I know I would smoke a YFZ or almost any other sport quad out there.

And finally I can smoke any YFZ or Banshee in reverse !

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
its 686cc's.....but who cares......

They are close, and what I think is crazy is aside from torque the 700 with its 237 extra cc's really isnt making much more hp....not untill you get into the motor does it start making a big gain over an equally modded yfz at only 449cc's. AND at only 350lbs you end up with one heck of a power/weight ratio.
If you read specs you/I would think the yfz was no doubt faster....but it isnt the case. I ended up taking back a lot of things I said when I had my yfz and we got our first 700 for the lady. It opened my eyes to how the raptor of today is a lot different to the raptor I had of yesturday! Also showed what getting the power to the ground can do...and what a difference it makes!

I use to be a hardcore yfz enthusiast.....there is a reason I am even more of a 700 enthusiast now!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I use to be a hardcore yfz enthusiast.....there is a reason I am even more of a 700 enthusiast now

Yes you did ;) Lol

I can remember going back and forth with you about it on the connection.
You just could not believe I could beat a YFZ on my bolt on 700R 8)
Now you know the true story :thumbsup:

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
MidnightRider said:

I have found just the opposite. One of my riding buddies has a hard running YFZ, full pipe, no air box, cam mod and tricked out FCR carb with a +4''swinger and a JJ&A light weight play axle.Were pretty close on flat drags and if I even let him get me by a hair on the start he'll get me by a tire.
On the Hills I can put 3 bikes on him unless I screw up and wheelie big time on the start.
I have had simular results with all the other bolt on YFZ's I have raced. The torque of the 700R more than makes up for the weight difference unless you add a whole bunch of armor and take it up in weight. Just my take from what I have run up aganst at the dunes.
WOW that's not how I've seen it LOL Remember Boxcar last May. Well if the big toe gets better WE will get it straighten out......... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
I use to be a hardcore yfz enthusiast.....there is a reason I am even more of a 700 enthusiast now

Yes you did ;) Lol

I am sure we did Randy. Even after having our stocker for a while I still thought the yfz was faster.....but I was wrong and you were more than right!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
135boom said:
RaptorRandy27 said:

Yes you did ;) Lol

I am sure we did Randy. Even after having our stocker for a while I still thought the yfz was faster.....but I was wrong and you were more than right!

It's cool bro, it isn't about being right or wrong, we all like to have the faster bike ;)

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Bigdaddy660R said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
MidnightRider said:

WOW that's not how I've seen it LOL Remember Boxcar last May. Well if the big toe gets better WE will get it straighten out......... :thumbsup:
Big D,that was when I was still running Sand stars my friend and as I remember it we traded wins. Since I have had the Haulers I have consistently been able to get to the top of the hill first. What about the last trip to Florence? What about dune fest who had the quicker ET's ? What about last weekend at Beverly? Ask Julie she saw it with her own eyes. You your self said the 700 was a little stronger, We both pretty much outrun the competition when were at the hill, but if you see it different so be it, I'll park or sell my bike before I get into a pissing match with a friend over whos bike is faster, It's just not worth it to me. As far as this upcoming dune trip you invited me on yesterday, thanks but I think I'm going to have to pass on it, I can't even get my foot in a shoe yet.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,776 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Big D,that was when I was still running Sand stars my friend and as I remember it we traded wins. Since I have had the Haulers I have consistently been able to get to the top of the hill first. What about the last trip to Florence? What about dune fest who had the quicker ET's ? What about last weekend at Beverly? Ask Julie she saw it with her own eyes. You your self said the 700 was a little stronger, We both pretty much outrun the competition when were at the hill, but if you see it different so be it, I'll park or sell my bike before I get into a pissing match with a friend over whos bike is faster, It's just not worth it to me. As far as this upcoming dune trip you invited me on yesterday, thanks but I think I'm going to have to pass on it, I can't even get my foot in a shoe yet.
RR I don't give a rats ASS who's first or last.......3 bikes lengths is a bit of a stretch. If you remember we talked about WHY i wasn't flying over the top of that small arssed hill. If you don't remember let me remind you, YA CAN'T SEE WHAT'S COMING FROM THE OTHER SIDE. I'm not going to risk my life or anyone elses for ANYTHING that includes a funky assed Beverly Chit Hole race. Sorry you can't make it to the dunes this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
I'll give you that, maybe it wasn't as much as 3 bikes. Sorry I brought it up.

Note to self, never post about races with friends :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts