Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up a 2001 Raptor with a 2004 tranny and I have a small concern about the reverse.

In reverse as soon as I start on the gas it starts to misfire if I give it gradually. The only way I can reverse is the get higher in the RPM and release the clutch.

The parking brake is completely removed and the wires cut

thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sounds like the limiter but I'm not sure if the 01's had them?

·
Registered
657 Posts
'01's did not have it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
It takes alot to get it going in reverse. The reverse gear is like a gear between 2nd and 3rd. Its real tall. Just slip the clutch when backing up. Try not to drop the clutch in reverse. Its hard on the reverse gear and could cause a blow out. That was supposedly one of the reasons the trans had problems with that particular year. Mine was well taken care of its whole life and had zero problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

The Raptor is in pretty rough shape, I'm going to enjoy rebuilding it.

Just to update everyone, the problem gets WORSE if I feather the clutch out, in fact it will outright stall the quad. The only way to get it to back up is to release the clutch in 1 full motion. Is there a sensor on the clutch that could be causing this? The quad starts to backfire when clutch is half way out.

Thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
You sure its an '01? There is a good possibility it might be an '02 with a limiter or the previous owner changed the harness. You say its fine in forward gears right?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The 01s do not have the reverse rev limiter.....however, if it has an aftermarket CDI like a Dyna FS for example, it WILL have the reverse rev limiter. Also if the previous owners stock CDI went bad and he replaced it with a later year CDI it will have the limiter.

Easy to get rid of though, ground the green wire with the white stripe down by the shifter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with the kid, apparently the complete engine is a 2004.

I'll run the engine numbers through a vin checker later and find out for sure.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Should be a few posts here about disabling the reverse rev-limiter, and it's availible on the sandwizards.com website under "tips and tricks" as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts