Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding yesterday my reverse light turned on and stayed on. On top of that my Raptor is running rough and back firing. I know nothing about quads. Help would be great before i go spend a shit load at the local dealer/shop. Thanks

ike

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
The connection has come loose at the reverse switch causing the light and the reverse RPM limiter to come on. Find the green/white wire that plugs into the switch (just below the output sprocket) - it's a push on connector. Unplug, clean all contact surfaces, tighten the spring clamp with pliers, and re-connect.... all should be fine now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That didnt work, maybe im just all messed up. I took the only green and white wire that i could find and unplugged it and cleaned it up. The reverse light stayed on and the bike still ran crappy.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
THere is only one green/white stripe wire on the bike, so if you had a green/white in your hand, you had the right one. If cleaning and reconnecting didn't work, there's only a couple of other possibilities:

Okay, then try grounding the green/white wire - take the end that plugs onto the switch, run a piece of wire from it up to the battery negative terminal... does the reverse light go out now? If not, the wire is broken somewhere between the switch and the CDI (behind the battery)... if it DOES go off, the reverse switch is broken. Just leave the wire grounded and you can ride all you want. The limiter will be permanantly off, but so will the light. (do you care?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay grounding that wire worked. So if the reverse switch is broken does it matter? I mean will effect anything on the bike ??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Okay grounding that wire worked. So if the reverse switch is broken does it matter? I mean will effect anything on the bike ??
Nope, wont cause any problems, just that the bike will travel in reverse as fast as you want, this can cause a problem...............

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Other than the reverse light no longer works, and you can run at ridiculously high speed in reverse (the reason for the limiter in the first place), there are no other ramifications....

Just be careful when punching it in reverse and you'll be fine... else, replace the switch and be back at stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts