Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres a new one ( to me anyway! lol). I was running at the dunes in 3rd gear climbing hills and the "reverse light " came on. The timing will retard at 3/4- full throttle at the same time. Also I can drop into reverse without using the switch. All this usually happens during a hill climb or riding a wheelie, altho it has happened on flat ground wide open. So does it sound like a reverse switch issue, or is there something wrong in the transmission?

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Ok, heres a new one ( to me anyway! lol). I was running at the dunes in 3rd gear climbing hills and the "reverse light " came on. The timing will retard at 3/4- full throttle at the same time. Also I can drop into reverse without using the switch. All this usually happens during a hill climb or riding a wheelie, altho it has happened on flat ground wide open. So does it sound like a reverse switch issue, or is there something wrong in the transmission?
Wires down by your shifter on the case. One is a Neutral Safety Switch I bet its loose or the switch itself is going. If its loose once cleaned and fixxed use some heat shrink to keep it from happening again. Its been about 5 years for mine. :)

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Yellow wouldn't something else be going on besides a switch if he can put it reverse without using the switch? I know my nuteral light came on before when I was riding in the show but hasn't done it again. If it was just a light a ignition retard I would think it was a switch but if you can drop it in reverse with out a using the switch. Good luck with it.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
I've not had the light issue but I did have a spell where I could select reverse without the switch. Turned out the cable was sticking.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Yellow wouldn't something else be going on besides a switch if he can put it reverse without using the switch? I know my nuteral light came on before when I was riding in the show but hasn't done it again. If it was just a light a ignition retard I would think it was a switch but if you can drop it in reverse with out a using the switch. Good luck with it.
Its the quad telling you some thing is wrong (r light/cutting out) mine did the same thing and thats what it was. I had a pic of wires but I have 1,000,000 pics now and cant find it. :mad:

Now if he said it happen when I turn left so some thing like that I would think it was a R cable issue.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I've not had the light issue but I did have a spell where I could select reverse without the switch. Turned out the cable was sticking.
A little bit of preventive maintenance will go a long way. I use to lube the cables before I would go riding, now I do it after since I had a cable get totally stuck from one wet ride.

Yellow ok I never had a problem like that so I wasn't sure if it would be something more since it was doing more than one thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check your reverse cable it may be partially engaged. Like others have said, a properly lubed cable may help.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
i had the same thing.. did your rev limiter kick in?? clean the wires where they plug into the motor by the switch and lube your cable if you want. my problem was the wires were dirty on the contacts by the shifter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My reverse switch "stuck" on me once before, guess it was the cable but not sure. I just had to help the switch go back to it's normal position. I just think my switch itself had debris in it, hasn't done it since, and i kinda forgot about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts