Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to remove the reverse limiter b/c i hate that thing it always kills my quad when i try to go expesally if i am in a hurry and the other day i got stuck and i would have been able to get it out by myself but i couldnt go in reverse b/c i couldnt get the tires to spin in reverse
thanks
Cody 8)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You ground one of the wires on the reverse sensor (under the shifter) to the frame and it will eliminate it unless you want to spend like $30 to keep your reverse light, but I cant remember which wire, did it so long ago and raptortranny is down I think...

Actullay its from sandwizards.com here is the link - Sorry cant link it so ill just post it

Raptor Reverse Rev Limiter

Disconnect Instructions

This is the wire that you are going to splice into. As you can see it has the "L" shaped plug on it. It just clips onto a round terminal.

I would unplug the wire to help you follow it up.

When you follow the wire up, you will see that it goes through a wire bracket just under the rear shock mount. I followed it up to just in front of the rear shock mount as you can see in the picture. I then used some clippers and carefully cut through the rubber housing that they have around the wire. I then took a wire splice (see picture) and carefully placed the splice right where I cut through the rubber housing so that the splice had complete contact with the wire inside the rubber housing. I then took a 6-8" piece of wire and put one end in the splice and closed the splice with pliers. If you ride in wet conditions a lot, you might want to put some heat shrink tubing over the wire before splicing then shrink it over the splice.

In this picture you can see the wire bracket I mentioned in the previous frame. This is where I grounded the wire I spliced. I put a connector on the end and soldered it, then grounded it. That is it.

Note: We are not responsible if any injury or damage were to occur because someone performed this procedure. We are not recommending this procedure, we are just illustrating what we have done to our Raptors.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Does ripper racing still sell the module that overrides the limiter? I had that on for a while but my CDI crapped out on me one day so I replaced the stock CDI with a Dyna CDI that doesn't have a reverse limit. I realize that's a high dollar fix but the stock CDI was bad so I had a good excuse.

The Dyna raised the redline by 1000 I believe. Not too thrilled with that but I don't cruise around banging off redline either so I guess it's fine.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I dont know, why spend money when you can do it for free?

·
Registered
639 Posts
disco said:
The Dyna raised the redline by 1000 I believe. Not too thrilled with that but I don't cruise around banging off redline either so I guess it's fine.
did you buy the programable one? if so send it to mike at csr and he can drop it down for you. and the reason for the little box is so that you still have the reverse light

·
Registered
569 Posts
phucker said:
did you buy the programable one? if so send it to mike at csr and he can drop it down for you. and the reason for the little box is so that you still have the reverse light
No, it's not programmable. I just have pipe, jet, filter and no lid so I got the base CDI.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
No offense, but is the light really worth that much?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Limited660 said:
It's nice to have it working. The part was about $30 (?) or so. The way I see it, I spent plenty of money buying the Raptor, I spent plenty on the pipe, why break precedent? $30 for a light doesn't seem so bad in that respect. ;) Now the CDI was some money but since the motor is mostly stock I went for a mostly stock CDI.

Too bad you can't flash or reprogram the stock CDI like you can with a car or truck tuner. For like five bucks. Now that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
2001?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Nope dont have em, 2002 to 2005? have them, big safety issue...

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok so about those pics up there do u splice the wire all the way then put that blue thing on then ground into it or do u just nick into the wire and when ur have it grounded do u plug it back into the bottom by the shifter

i dont know much about the 660 cause i got a 700 but my buddie has a 660 so wanted to help him out his quad kinda sounds like it back fires and miss fires when hes backing up and hes not realy moveing is there a way to fix it? its not like its hitting the rev limiter cause not moveing fast at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
my 01 has a revers limiter. i just took the gear out of the crank case to bypass it, when putting the 03 tranny in it. light still works and it was free.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You dont have to strip the wire to use the 3-way splice, I dont know why its in there, when you crimp the splice it cuts the insulation itself and you cant get rid of the limiter just by removing a gear, its electronic, not mechanical

·
Registered
11 Posts
it is a gear that activates the sensor. it is the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
it is next to the clutch, above the shifter in the right side cover. it will still go in revers, but the computer thinks you are not moving.

·
Registered
123 Posts
so ur telling me to get a clap like that blue one,pull the wire out by shifter then go up on the wire above top of spring then put the blue thing on it with another wire beside as the ground and the take the wire u put on it and ground it then plug the thing back in by the shifter? and by grounding thar wire what does it do like is that wire a ground to begine with or is it hot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Limited660 said:
In retrospect...no.

I bought one last summer without doing any research on a possible fix besides buying the module (something I usually don't do).

The module works great, but looked like it had been assembled by a 5 year old. I had to take the case apart, de-bur the plastic where the wires went through the case because they left jagged plastic that would certainly have chaffed into the wires. After putting it back together I sealed it with silicone so it would be impervious to moisture. The unit from the factory didn't have anything to guard against water.

Save your money, and do the splice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts