·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i need it, why should I remove it and how :3question:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Your reverse rev limiter is there so you pretty much don't kill yourself. The bike is extremely less stable while going backwards, and it is alot easier to roll the bike if your not careful. The rev limiter is there so you don't go too fast, and also save the tranny. But if you would like to remove it there is a company that makes a kit to remove it. I've also heard you can ground the wires out. Just do a search on here about removing reverse rev limiter....or something along those lines, and i'm positive you'll come up with something

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got that rev limiter thing, i installed myselk in abouth 15 minutes..... its worthed.....

I think you can get it at www.ripperracing.com

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
you don't need to buy either to do away with it. Down by your shifter is a green wire with a white stripe, take it off the sensor and ground it to the frame, the CDI will always think its in a forward gear so you'll have no rev limiter in reverse but you're reverse light will no longer work either.

Other options are to buy an 01 CDI, 01s did not have the reverse rev limiter, or if you still want the reverse light to work you'll have to get one of the above mentioned ones.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but is there some reason that ppl remove it

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Honda_KiLlEr660R said:
but is there some reason that ppl remove it
Yeah, the reverse gear is a horrible ratio that provides essentially no torque and therefore requires you to slip the clutch a whole lot to get going. And often times it's not enough power and can be dangerous. Not to say that 30mph backwards without the limiter isn't dangerous though.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
my bike is an 01 so I never had it to begin with but I have rode with people who have it and I just couldn't have my baby all spittin and sputtering while I was trying to back it out of a hole or something.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
thats true, I should have mentioned that :thumbsup:

If you purchase a Dyna F/S ignition for an 01 Raptor, it will have the reverse rev limiter built into it even though the factory one does not. But still, just ground the green wire with the white stripe and its gone again.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
scholle said:
Some of the aftermarket cdi's have the limiter built infor the 01.The stock one as stated above does not.
On the low end the Procom based units have it as well for 01-05.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the reverse limiter by-pass that ripper racing makes.

The limiter by-pass was more of a need than a want. The bike as it was wouldn't go up any incline without seriously slipping the clutch to get moving. I was hitting the rev-limiter almost off idle and wasn't able to back into my garage!

Everything works as advertised and installing the by-pass only took a few minutes. Now I can back into my garage with ease! :thumbsup:

Like was mentioned before...with the by-pass, reverse can become "scary" if your not careful. All in all it was a $30 well spent.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Honestly I get a kick out of the idea that people will 30 bucks to have their reverse light work. When you can ground the wire out for the cost of a scotchlock, I simply cannot justify it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
bypassing the rev limiter

Ya I bypassed it by unhooking the L shaped plug under the front sprocket of my 03 raptor 660 and found an end that slides in the plug and hooked up the wire to it and slide it on the original plug and ran it to the ground on the battery.
(And now it is so fast and spits rocks out the front LOL) "works grate"

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
Good response to a 5 year old thread, LOL...

Welcome to the forum - if you look at the sticky's at the top of the 660 sections, you will find a couple of them related to the reverse limiter elimination, by grounding the green/white wire as you described.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Ya I bypassed it by unhooking the L shaped plug under the front sprocket of my 03 raptor 660 and found an end that slides in the plug and hooked up the wire to it and slide it on the original plug and ran it to the ground on the battery.
(And now it is so fast and spits rocks out the front LOL) "works grate"
Welcome to the forum. Dont wory. This forum has so much info, it takes a little work to figure it all out. Newbies not only deserve some slack, but hopefully will be with us for another five years. Time flies when you are having fun. Keep posting!!!!!;)

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
Slack? We ain't got no stinkin' slack! :D

Seriously, reddicopp, I suggest you read the sticky at the top of the General 660 Discussion section titled "Most Common Problems with the Raptor 660" to get some general ideas on common issues, and while you're there, read the other stickies at the top of each section to get a good, rounded education on lots of 660 topics.

Then, keep contributing posts to the forum - everyone's input is valuable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts