Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....been awhile since ive been on here.

got a problem with an 02 rappy 660.

starts up fine revs to the max no problem. except in reverse, all she does is spit sputter and no power.

The gear engages and disengages no problem.

I read a few different threads didn't see anything like this tho...Any input would help

thanks guys

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It sounds like the reverse rev limiter. Check the stickys on a way to bypass it. Makes fun reverse burnouts without the limiter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i had a 02 brand new that did the same thing:( so i never used reverse for that reason:mad:

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
You obviously didn't read the stickies in the General 660 section - one called "Most common problems with the 600" describes the reverse rev limiter in detail and tells you how to get rid of it.

This IS your problem (but it is normal). Go read the sticky.

http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60922

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Yamaha sent them out from the factory with a reverse rev limiter after some customers on the 01s got going a little too fast.

Mixed info on the 01's, it's possible they started this during the 01 production cycle. But all 02-05 Raptor 660s have a factory reverse limiter.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright ill check and play around with the two wires. thanks

Don't know if it makes a diff but my rev light stays solid doesnt blink at all.

Sometimes reverse works sometimes it doesn't...pain in the ass when you really need to reverse up a slight hill with no PB.

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Lets see if you can understand this - the problem YOU are describing is NORMAL - designed into the bike by Yamaha... you can eliminate it by following the instructions to REMOVE the reverse limiter - there's only ONE wire involved, the green/white - just ground it, period. The other one is parking brake, and it's NOT your problem.

Reverse will always work if you press down, let clutch out a bit then pull it back and press down again - voila, reverse will be engaged - it just sticks a bit sometimes... the double downshift always gets it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I grouded the wire......now my reverse light stays on in reverse and in neutral....and the bike still sputters in reverse.....do I have a different problem now?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I grouded the wire......now my reverse light stays on in reverse and in neutral....and the bike still sputters in reverse.....do I have a different problem now?
Does it sputter in the forward gears........

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
You grounded the wrong end of the wire.... ground the side that goes to the CDI, not the side that goes to the switch - I'm guessing you cut the wire (green/white) somewhere, and then grounded one of the cut ends, right? You grounded the wrong cut end.

OR

You grounded the wrong wire altogether - what colors are on the wire you grounded (please check, don't just parrot what i'm saying). It needs to be green insulation with white stripe or stripes.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You grounded the wrong end of the wire.... ground the side that goes to the CDI, not the side that goes to the switch - I'm guessing you cut the wire (green/white) somewhere, and then grounded one of the cut ends, right? You grounded the wrong cut end.

OR

You grounded the wrong wire altogether - what colors are on the wire you grounded (please check, don't just parrot what i'm saying). It needs to be green insulation with white stripe or stripes.
Or the wire is broken somewhere on its way to the CDI...............

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it is the correct wire....i did ground the wrong end...the wire was already split so i cut it at that point which is close to the cdisee how it goes....sorry for the confusion....ve been messing around wth different senario's...

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
So... is it now resolved?

·
Registered
14 Posts
the person that owned mine before me, cut the rev limiter out of it. Mine spits and sputters all the time in reverse unless im on flat ground. Its a freaking rocket ship in reverse

·
Master of the Electron
15,635 Posts
Well, that doesn't make any sense... if you want some input or help, please start your own thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts