Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I live in Illinois but have plans of going up to wisconsin to try out some of their atv trails. The one thats closest to me is called Cheese Country trail.

Im confused because some of them have speed limits. I have a older handheld gps I was going to mount on my atv for speeds and incase we get lost.

But it doesnt work under trees and if there is no clear view of the sky.

I really dont want to buy one of those trail computers for my raptor cause they need tons of wires hooked up.

What do you guys use? Is there a newer hand held garmin or something that works better on trails under trees? Other wise I would think they would be useless for hiking if there is trees which there always are it seems.

Any opinions on trails or areas to hit?

Looks like something like this will work. I guess the new ones are high sensitivity and work in covered areas it says.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I know my Garmin eTrex Venture works just amazingly. Worked both in Afghanistan and also in northern Michigan last summer. Afghanistan obviously NOT for pleasure quad rides, lol, but northern Michigan was. Lots of trees, no issues! Hope this helps. I think they are about $125, give or take. Hope this helps, and have fun riding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The black river falls and clark county trails are a lot of fun. NO speedlimits,they offer nice scenary, different types of terrain,and the trails are joined together through 2 counties.Makes for a full day or 2 of riding to cover it all. Thing i advise is check their site if it rains heavy before ya go. Certain spots can get flooded if it rains hard. I rode the cheese trails only once, and I thought it sucked. They are mostly flat straight dirt roads with speed limits. Found it to be VERY boring, and wont ever be going there again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Head north of Green Bay to Crivitz and ride the dusty trail system, lots of nice trail riding, there are speed limits but I have never worried about that and have been ok! I think they are closed at the moment though.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Dunbar, Goodman, Athalstain trail system is the best on the east side of the state. West side, Parkfalls is the best in the state. Blackriver falls is good but it is too popular and the groomer can't even keep up. It gets whooped out badley. Dusty trail is a good one but it is approprately named. Cheese county trails used to be good but two many people going off trail got all the good parts closed down. It's been awhile since I looked it up, but Wis used to have 2800 miles of atv trails in the summertime. Oh yah most open 15th of may If not Too wet.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Giantkiller, I will be up home by dusty's in July, we should hook up for some riding

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Giantkiller, I will be up home by dusty's in July, we should hook up for some riding
Sounds good I only have my YFZ 450. Gotta wait till august to get my rappy I just bought from 09Raptor700R. When I go to Colorado to go riding. Its @ my sisters house. The wait is going to kill me.:eek:
send me a pm when your going to be around

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheese head trails are more family friendly, I wouldnt bother with those trails otherwise. Blackriver rocks but watch out if your exaust is over 96dbs, they will ticket you and your day will be over of riding. also some rain helps keep the dust down but check their website for closings if you know they got alot of rain. park falls rocks too but havnt been there in 10 yrs..

·
Registered
435 Posts
im also thinking about heading down to black river falls around July or so...im worried about my exhaust..i have a yosi full system with the baffle in.Hope its not to loud.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I'm living in the Appleton area for the summer and am looking for a place to ride on weekends. If any of you guys want to ride let me know. Just PM me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts