Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally ride pretty redneck. Helmet, chest protector, MX gloves, cowboy boots, jeans, and t-shirt. Recently picked up a couple of clearance MX jerseys and think I will really like them. I also bought a pair of MX pants. Couple issues with them and have to return.
First, they only sold by one size ( 32 or 34 or 36 etc) figuring it was waist I chose my needed 34 waist size. The waist was perfect, but at 6'3" they were about 6 inches above my ankle. They were the inside boot style so riding shoes or cowboy boots would have been hilarious.
Second, they were very stiff and sounded like I would start a fire walking around. Corduroy jeans were laughing at me.

So, are they worth trying another pair? Really beneficial over jeans? If I buy another pair I planned on doing the over boot style this time. Still concerned of ending up with a fitted waist and way too short. Generally buy jeans in a 34 waist 36 length.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Every time you see me riding trails with you, I have my riding pants. Like wearing pajamas, lol. I have moose brand so they are super comfy. Still have the pants? What brand are they?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I used to ride in jeans and work boots and then switched over to actual riding boots and pants. They are a lot more comfy and lighter to me. I'm 6'3" and my main pants are a touch short for my liking but still are covered by my boots. It dosent bother me. I also have used over the boot but with the headers my pants didn't last long. So id rather have a lil black mark on my boots than holes in my pants. I just buy clearance ones my self as new they are spendy! But I believe some companies make longer ones...ie tall or something like that. Just don't know which companies or what style?

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
I love my riding pants. They are an outside of boot style by o'neal I believe. Heavy enough material to be durable but with enough vents to stay cool. They will even zip off into shorts for the really hot days. Also have some hip padding that is securely in place but can be removed.
Much more comfortable than riding in denim ever was.

Get yourself some riding boots! Your ankles will love you.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Agreed about boots. I finally forked out $300 for a set of alpinestars tech 5's can't wait to try them out. My old ones were falling apart...literally.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Morph they are Oneal brand. I have them ready to ship back.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1720/35983/O'Neal-Racing-Element-Pants-2013

I bought a pair of MX boots years ago and couldn't stand them. Worse idea ever. Lol They were so freaking stiff that I couldn't feel anything going on with my feet. I kept shifting accidentally which is not good. I tried walking in them and what not and just don't think they would have ever broke in enough to where the ankle would actually flex. I have considered the shorty boots, but have found these that sparked my interest as well.

http://www.flyracing.com/product/street/apparel/shoes/m21-riding-shoe/2148/black

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have the same issue with riding boots. I never could get mine to break in. got them wet and washed my bike. got them wet and walked around and they were still as stiff as steel. f boots

·
Registered
202 Posts
I dress more for the trail conditions than anything else. Mostly muddy here in PA/NY area, regardless of the time of year, so old rain jacket and bibs for me. If I could dip my body in latex before each ride and then peel myself clean that would be nice.

·
Registered
323 Posts
if im on my trx,its full on riding pants/boots,but when I hop on the 700 rappy, its skinny jeans and uggs,but lets keep that on the downlow:wootwoot:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Morph they are Oneal brand. I have them ready to ship back.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1720/35983/O'Neal-Racing-Element-Pants-2013

I bought a pair of MX boots years ago and couldn't stand them. Worse idea ever. Lol They were so freaking stiff that I couldn't feel anything going on with my feet. I kept shifting accidentally which is not good. I tried walking in them and what not and just don't think they would have ever broke in enough to where the ankle would actually flex. I have considered the shorty boots, but have found these that sparked my interest as well.

http://www.flyracing.com/product/street/apparel/shoes/m21-riding-shoe/2148/black
Hey those are pretty nice man! I been looking for a good short riding boot! It is kind of awkward for me to ride with mx style boots as well. But I think you definatly need some kind of atleast akle high boot no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
I have scars on my shins from trying to start my dirt bike without them and having my foot slip off. It's like the shin bone is dented in. That brought the wife and daughter out to the garage hearing me yell when that little mishap happened. That was over a year ago, lol. Never again...

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,571 Posts
Check Cycle Gear for short riding boots. They zip up on the inside. Great for us old guys that have trouble reaching around the outside for buckles.

I also have scars from starting my old Husky's. Both would definitely kick backwards.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Definitely check out cycle gear. You can find some really nice stuff and usually work with them on the price. Alpinestar tech 3 and my pants for under $300 and couldn't be happier.

·
GO BLUE!!!
641 Posts
I always wear riding pants and a jersey, I wore jeans once and hated it. I like the over the boot style, but do get holes in them from rubbing frame or exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I prefer riding pants to any form of jeans, however I also have to say that the o'neal mx boots I have are too stiff and takes away the feel of the ride as you would normally experience it with just regular shoes.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
It only takes once, then you'll wish you could go back and trade that comfort for safety. Mx boots can be very comfortable, just gotta try a few more pairs on.

I've broken an ankle once, I do not intend to let it happen again.

·
Being Single, Seeing Double, Making Triple
64 Posts
I second the Moose pants. I wear them, they are more comfortable then jeans.

I also wear the Thor ankle boots and they feel like shoes but with a little more support

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im in the same boat, 6'2" and just got a set of riding pants from RockyMt and their too short. Did you find something that fits you better?

·
Registered
689 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts