Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, had the 700 SE for about a month and have managed to stay in one piece. Having not been on any sort of bike since my mini bike MX days (27 yrs ago) I'm trying to ride somewhat sensible but these things are so quick that it's not easy.

Confidence is growing with every ride however I would love to hear some tips from the seasoned riders so I can get as much out of the bike as possible without pushing the envelope to the side of pain and grief.

Done some searching but haven't found much in the way of riding tips, if there is can someone point me in the right direction.

Sort of things I would like to know........

Taking jumps - Setting up, judging the right speed for landing zone, what to do whilst in the air etc.

Whoop-di-doos (Corregations ) - Weight transfer, WOT vs On/Off etc

Cornering...........

Pulling wheelstands - It's not hard to get these things up however just how far should you go before you risk fliping, which gear is best for prolonging the wheelie?

Anything else including how should the bike be ridden differently one the 3 mods are installed?

Any advice / direction would be appreciated including names of books/vids if you can't be f%*ed writing a short essay.

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The SE has better shocks that the none SE models so they should be alright for jumping, just don't get too crazy, I've heard some bad stories....

The 3 mods will really wake these things up, I am still awaiting my LTE exhaust so I havn't riden in a while. Pull your baffle and air box lid off and it will feel like you just gave it another 50hp! but it will throw your air/fuel ratio off..... might not be good for the motor, wheelies, usually in 2nd or third gear........1st is way too short. Might want to invest in a 15T sprocket I am this week....

you will learn alot on this forum

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Hit the jump square and half throttle so that if you need some more throttle youve got it and if the nose is too low you can throttle up to the front back in line. Wheelies is something you will have to just practice at....and invest in a couple of grab bars :lol:. I can hit 60ft triples with the stock 700 shocks but not everyone can(or willing to) do that. Most of it is speed and distance, naturally the faster you hit a jump the higher and farther you go- it just boils down to how big of air you have the hair for :lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Practice, Practice, Practice! Start off slow and work your way up. Simple rule of thumb, If you have to actually think about what you are doing instead of doing it instinctively your gonna get into trouble.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
for jumping ive found half throttle then right when you hit the jump full throttle it. the little extra umph will pre load the springs and help keep the nose from diving..

·
Registered
584 Posts
When you take a quick corner use alot of body english like the superbike guys do. I know when I corner im usually hanging off the inside side of the bike so my weight helps keep it level or from pushing up in the turn.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i looped my bike a couple of times on small fairly steep tactical hills, try to get yoiur weight on the gas tank as best u can , i guess that will help but the bike is so tourqey that im poppin the nose up on these mini hills it is pissin me off

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only good advice my dad ever gave me, "Try not to do anything stupid". I guess that would fit here because stupid happens real fast on a 700.
Seriously, lot's of practice and try to ride with people that are better than you. You can learn a lot from being behind guys that know what they are doing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
headingnorth is right, go to some dunes with higher skilled riders and let them lead. Pay attention to body placement, etc. Plus, in the sand, if you get a little bit crazy, it doesn't hurt as bad. Also, I had been riding for ten+ years and thought I was fast until I became friends with a guy who raced desert. At the sand with him and some other dudes, I followed for a while and learned alot even with more overall experience then them. Aftermarket suspension will make it easier, funner, and safer to go faster and be more comfortable too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
GEARHEAD9969 said:
Practice, Practice, Practice! Start off slow and work your way up. Simple rule of thumb, If you have to actually think about what you are doing instead of doing it instinctively your gonna get into trouble.
He's right, even when I try to think something through before I ride I can never even remember what I did when the time came to do it. Instinct kicks in a lot. The biggest plus of riding with other people is if something happens there is someone else there to help out whether its physically or mechanically.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I also remember to stretch really well before I ride.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I absolutely agree with everyone about "if you think about it , then your screwed"... I love hill climbing - but in the beginning you just have to do it, and not sit at the bottom and just think about how steep it is or whatever...

Also sometimes the only way to learn is to F--k up and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!!.. I was riding a wheelie at about 65 mph across a pasture, back right wheel hit a little bump and that was all she wrote, sent me flying and the bike.... I LEARNED to not do wheelies that fast or at least not on rought surfaces..

Plattner
Learn from your mistakes

·
Registered
350 Posts
plattner said:
I absolutely agree with everyone about "if you think about it , then your screwed"... I love hill climbing - but in the beginning you just have to do it, and not sit at the bottom and just think about how steep it is or whatever...

Also sometimes the only way to learn is to F--k up and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!!.. I was riding a wheelie at about 65 mph across a pasture, back right wheel hit a little bump and that was all she wrote, sent me flying and the bike.... I LEARNED to not do wheelies that fast or at least not on rought surfaces..

Plattner
Learn from your mistakes

Word.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I havnt had my bike long, but when hammered it in first its like the front wheels didnt even want to come up. I was on dirt so I my have just lost traction. I'm just use to my old modded out 660. Can you guys give me some tips on wheelies? Like I said I have only rode it alil just to try to get the engine broke in, like one day before the weather turned to shit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts