Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just got home from a good ride the dunes but all i get is wheel spin so i am now changing my tyres but was going to get a second set of rims for when i ride this area as i ride a variety and dont want to shred my good ones when i out on gravel

so my question is

1. should i stick with stock with rims?
2.are maxxis razors a good tyre for what i am lookin at

also does anyone know what offset and stud patter i should look at and will the added weight of a wider rim make much difference??

thank you

Ben

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also i am just looking at getting a replacement set of rears

·
Registered
965 Posts
For 90% sand and 10% gravel, I would look at a paddle-type tire. Not a true sand tire, but something like a Pure Sport Realtor:

The bolt pattern is 4/156 for the front wheels, and 4/115 for the rear wheels. And no, You will not notice added weight from a wider wheel. The tire weight is what you will notice (if any).

·
Registered
494 Posts
I ride the same terrain and percent as you.

I have the stock tires and rims for the odd times that I ride hardpack\gravel. I have a set of paddles on the back for the majority of the time, as I ride sand dunes. Im running Skat Trak 8 paddle haulers in 20-10-10 on Douglas .160" black label rims. Ive been using the stock front rims and tires in the dunes and they seem to be ok. I want to get a set of ITP Sand Stars for the front in 21-7-10.

I would suggest having a seperate setup for dirt and dunes. No knobbie tire will ever come close to the traction of a paddle tire in the dunes. That Realtor your looking at is gonna be a stiff, heavy tire. It wont do well in the sand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i didnt want to go a paddle because the 10% is not really gravel its sharp hard rocks that are around the dunes and on some of the tracks, what with rim are you guys using

Ben

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts