Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys . I'm posting in this section because it's for my 01 Scrambler 500 4x4.
I have a bent rim on the front which is allowing air to leak out around the bead. I'm wanting to buy a pair of front rims so that at least they match. I have found the specs on the rims which are 10x5 , 4/156. Now in my searches I have come across many different offsets. I do not understand offsets so I was wondering if someone could teach me or point me to somewhere I can read that is in layman's terms.
Thanks in advance guys.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
The first number is refering to the inside of the wheel and the second is the outside. So 3+2 is a 5" wide wheel with three of those inches are on the inside and 2 is on the outside, and when I say outside or inside I'm talking in the orientation of the hub mounting surface. Most stock wheels are of this backspacing, and many go to a 4+1 as I do for less bump steer and having wider a arms.

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
The first number is refering to the inside of the wheel and the second is the outside. So 3+2 is a 5" wide wheel with three of those inches are on the inside and 2 is on the outside, and when I say outside or inside I'm talking in the orientation of the hub mounting surface. Most stock wheels are of this backspacing, and many go to a 4+1 as I do for less bump steer and having wider a arms.
What do you mean by "bump steer"?

·
4,451 Posts
For instance hitting a rock at a decent speed and the handle bars turning in that direction. With the tire being further out from the turning point ie, the knuckle the more leverage the rock will have on it. Creating more "bump steer" to the rider. When the tire is closer it creates less leverage from bumps, rocks, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,792 Posts
Wouldn't stabilizer off set that feel? I understand concept in stock form though...

·
4,451 Posts
A stabilizer sure would. But wouldn't eliminate all of it. And having a wider offset rim would only make the stabilizer work harder, or fade faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts