Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed pulling stockers off, that theres rocks inside the wheels? I noticed it when I switched to the YFZ tires, and now, I noticed pulling tires off again, that in my NEW tires, theres rocks.. anyone have this issue? Should it be something to be concerned of?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I went to Glamis last weekend and noticed the same when removing the stockers and putting the paddles on. The chunks didn't 'clank' on the wheels at all so I assumed they were rubber.

The other two Raptors I helped swap on the paddles had the same exact thing going on.

The paddles sure didnt' have part knocking around inside, but We were 3 for 3 with our '07 GYTRs.

Shawn

·
Registered
899 Posts
They are a bunch of rubber balls. Or the stuff they use to put the tire on....you can squish them in your fingers.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
could this be the cause to my problem noise, look in the maintenance forum under, this may be the dumbest question

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Machy said:
could this be the cause to my problem noise, look in the maintenance forum under, this may be the dumbest question
Hmm, I can't hear it when I'm riding, only when i had the tires off and rolled em' around. its fairly quiet.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Krandall said:
oli700 said:
They are a bunch of rubber balls. Or the stuff they use to put the tire on....you can squish them in your fingers.
purpose?
I don’t think there is one. Just the remnants rolling around in there so much they stick to each other and form little balls.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have heard that two reasons for the black beads. Not sure which to believe.
1) It is left over bead sealant that has rolled into a ball
2) It helps remove liquid in the tire, much like the things in beef jerky or other food products.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
i thought they were used to counter balance the tire instead of using rim weights.......i dunno

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same thing. I always wondered what it was and last weekend I got my new knarly's mounted and when they gave me the old tires back they had a bunch of little rubber balls in it. I have them in the front tires too. I have no idea what they are from but it just sounds like rocks when u roll the quad slow.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yeah i had them 2~< i thought i was tripping at first, then i shook my tire again and i just figured it was dirt from airing down real low in the dunes on my stockers, thought maybe some slid in the sides somehow, but i never got to see if it was dirt or rubber when i got them mounted, i wasn't there and they were clean when i picked them up....i'm sure it's no big deal, but i see a few different possible answers...i'm just wondering which is right?

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I had the same thing.... Belle Tire told me they are balancing beads. I guess they would work on cintrificle (spell check) force, the weight of the beads would seek the wobbly spot? I had em' in my Blaster too. I had tires mounted in the winter and thought they left water in that froze and had formed ice, thats when they told me the "balance bead" story. I guess it makes sense... :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is pretty funny you just posted this because yesterday i just noticed this in my raptor. Thought it was kind of wierd and it sounds like rocks rolling around in there. Not really a big deal but I might take it to schwabs and get it popped off the wheel and get them outa there.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
When you get your tires mounted they use a soap like solution to make the rims slip on easier. The soap then rols around on the inside of the tire picking up small pices of dirt and tire grime. They start growing like a snow ball and eventually form little balls. They don't hurt anything or change the balance of the tires. My stockers had them and so did my paddles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Car tires have them too. Not sure exactly what it is other than little pieces of rubber and glue maybe. I have changed a bunch of tires and their is usually at least a few in all tires.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
With that said... I'm thinking maybe my tire guy is a stoner! :lol: Maybe they all had a good laugh when I left convinced of the "balancing" qualities of the majic beads. I just checked my paddles, rocks in em'. I know I didn't put em' in there. Very informative thread, thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto what the others said. To add, without beadlocks, it is possible to roll the bead enough in hard cornering situations to allow dirt/sand to pass (without letting the air out!) Before I went to Hipers on my YFZ duner (daughters bike now), I routinely had to pop a bead and dump the sand out. I wouldn't think it was possible, but there you go... I run beadlocks on both the YFZ and the new Raptor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GuamRaptor700 said:
When you get your tires mounted they use a soap like solution to make the rims slip on easier. The soap then rols around on the inside of the tire picking up small pices of dirt and tire grime. They start growing like a snow ball and eventually form little balls. They don't hurt anything or change the balance of the tires. My stockers had them and so did my paddles.
^^^
That's what I was told too. Had em in my Z400 before I got my Raptor.

Trev

1 - 20 of 23 Posts