Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently cleaned my carbs and sprayed these rubber seal things on top of the carbs with carb cleaner. I later learned that i shouldn't have done that. Anyway now when i put the carbs back together and on it ran like crap. Popping like crazy and seemed to have no "getup and go". I couldn't pull a wheelie. So do I need to replace these? How much do they cost, I can not find them on the internet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,002 Posts
Are they ripped? Just depends on if you ruined them or not if you need new ones. I would think you messed up jetting or you didn't clean the carbs properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No they are not ripped, but i am having extreme difficulty tucking them back under the covers so I suspect the carb cleaner softened them? Is there a certain way to get them under the black plastic cover because they are larger in diameter than the lid or carb
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,003 Posts
they should have some kind of "ring" that fits in a grouve in the carb body if i remember correctly. There is some excess material i believe. just make sure they are layed flat with no wrinkles. Carb cleaner mainly hurts them when they are soaked in it, it eats them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok mine were not soaking so maybe they are fine, but I still cant get then to seat properly. Any tips/tricks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
The carb cleaner has swelled the rubber.
Put them somwhere warm and dry for a few days and see if the shrink back to size.
Never use carb cleaners,or solvents on rubber parts.
PB blaster swells rubber fast too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
If you just barly spray them with carb cleaner they will swell up. Like said above put them in a warm sunny window to see if they shrink, or just buy new ones.

They are calld vaccuum slide diaphrams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
I would think that you might want to try putting them in the freezer for a hour or less. Molecules contract when in cold environments. Heating them up or letting them sit in the sun will make the molecules expand. Also might want to spray them down with some silicone spray.
 

·
I am unique
Joined
·
22,621 Posts
Try washing them in warm water with soap, and let them soak, it may help get rid of the cleaner that disolved into the rubber...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
I did that once years ago with a Wolverine. Ran just like your discribing, the only way we could get it running properly again was to replace the rubber diaphrams.
Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i took them out of the carbs today and let them dry for a few hours. Then I put them in and they fit perfectly. Thanks so much!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top