Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to just do a simple S/O HMF Exhaust, is a controller completly needed for it to not cause engine damage??.....if ill be alright then ill go ahead and jump on the pipe purchase but i have an offer for controllers and just wanna figure out if Ill be alright runnin a pipe and filter with no controller....thanks

·
Registered
865 Posts
ON MY 06 700 I BOUGHT A GYTR PIPE WITHOUT BUYING THE CONTROLLER FIRST AND IT BACKFIRED AND RAN CRAPPY.....THEN BOUGHT THE DOBECK AND EVERYTHING IS GREAT

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a full system or just a s/o?.......im probably gonna go with the Dobeck if i just need 1 but im not planning on any major motor mods, just the basic Air Filter and s/o exhaust

·
Registered
226 Posts
Full system is better than just bolt-on. There's not going to be such a huge difference that you'd easily notice, but there's quite a difference than stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
you definatley have to run a controller. your machine will not run right. if you dont want to do alot of mods i would just buy a pcIII. your machine will run better than stock. and then if you would want to mod all you have to do is program your controller...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just get the dobeck and you'll thank us later. Even stock these bikes could use a controller.

·
Registered
78 Posts
90+% of the problem with the stock exhaust is in the muffler (that's where all the restriction is). Buy a slip-on you like, pick up a Dobeck and toss the airbox lid. HUGE performance gain for a relatively little amount of money.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright sounds good......Ill be doing an HMF Slip on, and a PCIII, thanks for the info

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have run two full systems on mine with no controller.

One was the GYTR, and the other is the Yosh Ti system. Both times my dealer went in and made adjustments with the stock computer. I have zero problems with running lean, etc. None, nada, zip....well you get the idea. lol

There is/was a huge debate on whether it is even possible to adjust the stock computer. It can be to a point, and that is where I am going to leave this at.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, you've made your statement. Now explain how the dealer is "adjusting" the stock computer.

·
Registered
882 Posts
my rappy has a s/o hmf sport and it ran very lean without a controller..i bought the pcIII and she was good

·
Registered
175 Posts
rich807 said:
Ok, you've made your statement. Now explain how the dealer is "adjusting" the stock computer.
Not trying to be a wise ass, but...

This topic has been beat to death, and I really don't feel like rehashing it so that others can argue about it/with me.

A search will give you plenty of info on this. Short story, some dealers say "can't do it", and some know how too and do.

Mine has been done twice, stood there both times and have seen it with my own eyes.

You guys can carry on with this if you like, I am done with this.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's my question to this mix. Yamaha sells the GYTR full exhaust, pipe and silencer, plus they sell the high flow intake and adapter for it. They even go as far as showing dyno graphs for the results. Not trying to be a wiseass, but they don't say you need to reprogram your ECU with that. You buy those parts and that is what you get, so they say. Seeing as how using the genuine GYTR parts doesn't void your warranty, I guess you can go hog wild if you want. I wonder what they did to the stock ECU setup, or if they did anything at all?

MK

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have experience modifying cars with EFI systems, and they will remap themselves somewhat after having an exhaust, header, intake, etc. added. With Honda's you have to ground out the ECU for a few minutes, reattach the ground on the battery, and they crank it up and let it idle for a few minutes, then give it a good driving. I have no idea if this works with the ECU on the Raptor, but i'd assume it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
RobHussle said:
I have experience modifying cars with EFI systems, and they will remap themselves somewhat after having an exhaust, header, intake, etc. added. With Honda's you have to ground out the ECU for a few minutes, reattach the ground on the battery, and they crank it up and let it idle for a few minutes, then give it a good driving. I have no idea if this works with the ECU on the Raptor, but i'd assume it's worth a try.

It does not work on the 700R, it has no O2 sensor so it has no clue that you have changed anything.

For those of you that want to run your GYT-R stuff without a controller go right ahead but when your down on compression in a year from now and the dealer won't fix it under your extended warranty what are you going to do, kick yourseld in the ass because you were to cheap or stubborn to buy a controller? I just saw a 700R owner on another forum who ran a pipe and filter for the last year with no controller and now needs a complete top end rebuild.
If you do not have a dealer who has the knowledge and equipment to reflash the ECU with a 10% fatter map then you need to buy a controller or leave it stock. Those are the only options unless you want to run it lean and not get anywhere close to the power out of your mods. Same goes for the dealer reflash, it does not dial in the map thru out the curve and your leaving power on the table. Why after spending good money on mods to increase performance would anyone in their right mind not want to get all the power out of those mods :3question:

Quite frankly anyone who wants to mod the 700R but can't afford the controller shouldn't be modding it in the first place. If you fully intend on doing mods and your on a budget then buy one thing at a time and start with a Controller like a Dobeck if your bucks down. Then add a filter and a pipe or slip on as you can afford it. That's about the best advice I can give on the subject.

·
Registered
78 Posts
A person can buy a Dobeck for between $100-$150 right now; that will leave 99% of the people with a device they can easily adjust for their specific locale, motor, and riding style. They can tweak and change it over and over and over depending on their preference.

How much is a dealer going to charge the average Joe to reflash his ECM? Unless you have a major "hookup" you're going to spend that in 1 shot, have zero adjustability, and be reliant on someone at your local shop as far as trusting they know what tune to flash into your ECM.

To each his own but like stated above, if you can't afford a benjamin on a TFI box then you have no business moving into the modification world.

When people prematurely burn down a Raptor motor a year or so into a no-fuel-added mod, please do not come back on here and slag on Yamaha.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For right now, I'm plenty happy with the stock performance. Trails are too tight around here to open it up anyway. My only question is why would Yamaha sell that stuff if it's going to cook your engine? Keep in mind they say warranty not void if using GYTR parts. I won't argue that having the onboard ECU programming tool is necessary, if at least to see what is going on.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Had my map reflashed once….lost it when I unplugged the battery while I replaced the TPS. Dealer didn’t tell me it goes back to stock when you unplug the battery for a while…..I could tell instantly, called and asked them and they said “Oh yeah you loose it if you do that”

·
Registered
175 Posts
rich807 said:
How much is a dealer going to charge the average Joe to reflash his ECM?Mine, zero as it only took them less than half an hour to monitor exhaust gases and make needed adjusments

Unless you have a major "hookup" you're going to spend that in 1 shot, have zero adjustability, and be reliant on someone at your local shop as far as trusting they know what tune to flash into your ECM. This is why I choose ths shop I did. Not some back woods dealer.

To each his own but like stated above, if you can't afford a benjamin on a TFI box then you have no business moving into the modification world.This I myself find laughable. Personaly, $100 is pocket change. No some of you may start with "I am bragging" or "BS". Well at my age if $100 breaks me, I need to hang it up as I am a failure in life./

When people prematurely burn down a Raptor motor a year or so into a no-fuel-added mod, please do not come back on here and slag on Yamaha. Won't need too, won't happen. I know enough to only do the "basic 3" with having the computer being redone by the dealer. Any other mods, and a controller will be in order.

Why is it when people say "it can be done" and have had it done, some still say "it can't". Need visual proof?

Anyone in the central NJ area care to meet up with me, go to my dealer, and get all the proof needed to end this once and for all? After the holidays will be best for me.

Hell, I may try to get copies of the dealers "tech papers" and post them. If they will let me that is.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Again, we're not questioning that it can't be done. All we're doing is hashing out the plusses and minuses of this way of going about it (that's what these forums are for). Apparently, you don't like the fact that we're discussing it and are taking everything said as a personal assualt on you. It's not about you, lighten up some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts