Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im thinking about switching to e85. what all would i have to do to use it? im going to be hooking my auto tune up soon so what kind of a/f should i have?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So im thinking about switching to e85. what all would i have to do to use it? im going to be hooking my auto tune up soon so what kind of a/f should i have?
You will need about 7 to 1 A/F ratio or looking at it this way, you will need to double the amount of fuel you burn compared to straight gasoline............

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually E85 only runs about 30% more fuel, 35% on the max rich side. Also thinking in E85 AFR (actual or Lambda) is not worth it. A gas scale wideband will read the correct lambda and translate it into a gas value that you are already probably familar with at WOT (13.0-13.5).

The stock injector is 420cc so 30% more on top of that is 546cc, so the "Pink" injector is a good match at 565cc. We run e85 in our race bikes and street cars, it works very well in both.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I'm in Arizona, and the E85 at the pump here is inconsistant. I think the farther away from the source you are the more likely it'll be a different tune. Would be great if you ran a PCV

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if i do plan on running e85 i will have to increase my injector size?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Correct Shookie, it needs more by volume for the same power so the injector has to get bigger.

PW, that is a common comment about E85 and the source is almost always local. E85 is normally blended by the local fuel company that fill tanks. Since almost all fuel has at least 10% ethanol in it anyway they keep it on hand. In the case of the specialty E85 companies (US Ethanol for instance) will vary the concentration based on time of year. It will be e70 from Oct to Apr and then e85 in summer. It only affects AFR by around 0.5 points which in a car isnt a biggy but in a bike it can kill 1-2whp.

·
Sand Slinger Extraordinaire
234 Posts
Shookie- Just some quick suggestions from what we've done while running E85 for awhile now.

First, as Hurrikain (Aaron) said, you will want to upgrade your injector to a pink Denso injector if you are currently running a stock injector with your current mods.

Secondly, we found that our quads liked to be run (and made better numbers) on the dyno by being alittle richer on the bottom/mid, from idle up to around 5500-6000 rpm. Based on a lambda a/f meter left on the "gas" setting, this showed a a/f ratio of about 11.5:1 Above 6000rpm, we ramped up the a/f to about 13:1 a/f and finishing the overrev slightly over that.

Third, I don't know if it's totally "necessary", but per a suggestion from Daniel at HDD, I went down to my local NAPA store and purchased a 2' piece of high pressure fuel line for 2 reasons. The I.D. is larger than the stock Raptor fuel line, and it should be rated for use with "flex fuels" such as E85. Not that the stock line isn't sufficient for the application, this was just cheap insurance.

And lastly, using the PC5 with auto tune is great for getting this setup dialed in. I'd suggest making sure you start rich and let the autotune tune (lean down) from there. But personally I also recommend checking your a/f graph on a dyno to confirm your tune.

Hope that helps- Kris

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I was just going to go look for Kris' previous thread to link here, thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. im probably going to wait till this summer and get a bigger injector. would you recomend a bigger throttle body? any other mods that i should do?
thanks
Chris

·
Sand Slinger Extraordinaire
234 Posts
Without knowing all of your mods, I really wouldn't know what to recommend for a throttle body.

If your quad is basically stock engine wise, you will be fine with a stock tb.

We currently have 4 Raptors running on E85. On our two biggest builds, an 804 and an 815 build, we run the white knuckle 54mm billet throttle bodies with 750cc injectors from English Racing.

On a stock bore with the big 3 plus mild head work and a HC2 cam, we are running a +3bored stock tb with a pink denso injector.

On the current 727 big bore build with high compression 105mm piston, porting, barker duals, etc., I am also running a +3 bored stock tb with a pink injector. Just got done with the initial trial ride with this setup, so I don't know at the moment if I will have to go with a bigger injector or not, but will definately be sticking with the same tb.

If you have any questions as you get closer to going this route, send me a pm and I'll help ya out any way I can.

Later- Kris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts