Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a problem lately with my Raptor running super hot, any trail riding that is below 30 mph for extended periods of time and its running up at 210-215F and fan is coming on often. Coolant level is fine...is there a place to get a cooler thermostat? and would running it without the thermostat in the summer be fine? This is really driving me crazy...maybe my jetting needs upped?

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
As long as the fan comes on and then turns off again, you are not overheating...

That said, most of us seldomly see our fans come on - so you may be having issues with a plugged radiator, a stuck thermostat or a failing water pump.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what should I do to check this? First start with thermostat? I know the 210 isnt hot for the motor but its always up there.

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
Here's what I would probably do -

1) remove the thermostat - check visually, is it clean or gunked up (if it's gunked, your radiator probably is too). Drop in boiling water - does it open fully?

2) run engine with thermostat out and cap removed - do you see a lot of coolant flow? The pump sends coolant to the top of the radiator and pulls from the bottom. If not, check water pump. Does radiator overflow? plugged radiator passages.

3) if any indication of gunked or plugged anywhere, run some coolant system flush through the system - make sure it's compatible with all metals.

I'm going to guess that the pump is okay, else you wouldn't have much flow into the radiator - if there's not much flow, the coolant will spend more time in the radiator, cooling it more, and the fan switch (at bottom of radiator) wouln't see hot enough coolant to turn on.

My 1st suspect would be a plugged radiator - not enough cooling so the bottom is getting too hot, turning fan on... but inspection and testing will tell you more.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, thank you sir. Will try tomorrow if its not pouring outside.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
also engine Ice is supposed to keep your motor at lower temperatures...it says up to 50 degrees lower on the bottle

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also engine Ice is supposed to keep your motor at lower temperatures...it says up to 50 degrees lower on the bottle
I have thought about that but if the thermostat doesnt open until 200F, its not going to let it flow until it reaches 200F so how can it keep it cooler? It may cool it faster but I dont see how it is going to maintain a cool temperature.

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
FYI, thermostat is supposed to open around 160F.

IMO, I don't believe in 'fixing' a problem with engine ice - if the fan is kicking on as often as your's is, there's something going on that needs attention.

Also, the Raptor's cooling system is incredibly efficient, with the engine designed to run properly within the normal operating temperatures - why do I want to decrease that temp and move the engine into a temperature regime it was not optimized for (especially 50 degrees lower)?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just pulling a number out of my ass but how can this magic coolant work if it cant flow until the thermostat is opened? Just cant wrap my head around it at 3:30am :(

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Ever boil water on the stove with a non stick pan? Right before it starts to boil you see all those small bubbles stuck to the sides and bottom of the pan? Same thing happens inside the engine. So when you have bubble on the metal surface the coolant isnt in direct contact with the metal so the heat doesnt transfer as well.

Engine ice breaks the suface tension and doesnt allow the bubles to form. So it is like increasing the suface area between the engine / radiator, and coolant.

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
Limited, I agree, and this is the reason for my 'fix' statement - even if Ice is more efficient at pulling the heat from the hot coolant passages, if this heat has no where to go, the system is still going to overheat.

Now, due to the increased thermal conductivity, it may get a bit more of the heat out to the radiator, thereby marginally reducing the the overheat - but it is just a distraction from the truth - the real problem lies elsewhere.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Im having a problem lately with my Raptor running super hot, any trail riding that is below 30 mph for extended periods of time and its running up at 210-215F and fan is coming on often. Coolant level is fine...is there a place to get a cooler thermostat? and would running it without the thermostat in the summer be fine? This is really driving me crazy...maybe my jetting needs upped?
Do you have any kind of rad protectors such as screening or these fancy grille guards in front of the radiator, This WILL cause a problem, if not you could have a problem with a dirty radiator externally plugged............:)

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have any kind of rad protectors such as screening or these fancy grille guards in front of the radiator, This WILL cause a problem, if not you could have a problem with a dirty radiator externally plugged............:)
No, I cant afford those fancy doo-dads :) Maybe I need to buy 4-5 of those in-line coolers ;)

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I have the temp guage from mod quad and its supposed to act as a "cooler" also although I don't believe it cools much of anything its handy for getting an acurate temp reading

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No, I cant afford those fancy doo-dads :) Maybe I need to buy 4-5 of those in-line coolers ;)
Save your money on those doodads........
I had serious overheating problems years ago and cured it by removing the thermostat, but what my real problems was that it was the type of driving I did, like him climbing, and mud bogs, this creates extreme heat in the engine in short periods of time and the thermostat which is about a foot and half from the engine could not react fast enough.
What i have done now is drill a small hole in the thermostat and also built a bypass hose from the water pump to the back side of the thermostat housing to circulate water from the engine to the thermostat continually which keeps the engine and thermostat at the same temperature, this solved the problem..............:D

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I know part of my problem is that now my dad has his Rzr XP we drive slower then I would like through the woods...slow to the point that I need to slip the clutch or pull it in completely making it difficult to drive. Damn CVT's... Im gonna solve this whenever I feel like changing the sprocket. I just need it to stop raining and I need to find where the thermostat is and I guess I will try without it because if its opening at 160 then its always open after about 10 minutes into my ride. Took about 5 minutes of open road doing 50mph to get it down to around 150-160.

So if it does open at 160, that would mean it is open the whole time im running hot so its either a flow issue with it or the radiator is getting plugged. Coolant has been in it for at least 5 years, not sure if the owner before me changed it so I guess its time :unsure: Im a little slow with maintenance these past year being in college and new car.

Anyway to get the thermostat out without dumping all the coolant? Clamp the lines?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I know part of my problem is that now my dad has his Rzr XP we drive slower then I would like through the woods...slow to the point that I need to slip the clutch or pull it in completely making it difficult to drive. Damn CVT's... Im gonna solve this whenever I feel like changing the sprocket. I just need it to stop raining and I need to find where the thermostat is and I guess I will try without it because if its opening at 160 then its always open after about 10 minutes into my ride. Took about 5 minutes of open road doing 50mph to get it down to around 150-160.

So if it does open at 160, that would mean it is open the whole time im running hot so its either a flow issue with it or the radiator is getting plugged. Coolant has been in it for at least 5 years, not sure if the owner before me changed it so I guess its time :unsure: Im a little slow with maintenance these past year being in college and new car.

Anyway to get the thermostat out without dumping all the coolant? Clamp the lines?
The thermostat is ahead of the fuel tank, right hand side, it is easiest to remove the radiator and fuel tank to get in there, I would first try changing the thermostat to a new one.............
nothing worse then a cold running engine.............

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats an expensive test when your broke, its like $26 for the thermostat! :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
yeah something is definately up after i read your last post. mine runs around 200 all the time. like willykiller said, i like hill climbs and mud bogs as well..... the hottest mine has ever gotten, was a 300 or 400 yard 6 to 10 inch deep mud drag that i ran wide open for about a minute in 3rd gear. the motor went to 220, fan came on too. but, this is where your motor differs.....i take mine out on the road and in a matter of seconds doing over 30mph it comes right down to 160 or so. yours taking minutes......something is clogged up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts