Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding yesterday at Bundy hill and my temps were getting up to 250deg. The temp gauge is installed right after the head. It would be around 230 most all the time though and spike to 250-260. Seems kinda high don't it. This was just riding around not even beating the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Yesterday when I was riding the trails... not beating just cruising I was seeing 220-230 pretty consistently. I think its because it was just too darn hot yesterday. I tried hard wiring in my fan and that helped a little but only brought me down to 210-215 range.

BTW - I am in WI but according to my girlfriend MI is getting the same weather right now. It was probably low 90's out right?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is 90 right now but it has cooled off a bit. I was out working on a few of the semis earlier and I was drenched in sweat. Crazy hot I figure thats why the raptor was running hot.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Yeah. Normally mine would run in the 180's cruising and get up to 210 whooping on it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ambient temperature does play with the engine maximum temperature.
I did have lots of problems with my Raptor overheating in the past.
The Raptor has it thermostat some 18 inches from the hottest spot of the engine which is the head, to help with my problem I drilled a hole in the thermostat to help keep the thermostat up to the same temperature as the engine, later I installed a bypass hose that was installed at the thermostat housing and ran back to the water pump intake port, this kept the thermostat a virtually the same temperature as the engine by circulating hot water right to the thermostat housing...........

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
You know... now that you say it that way I am beginning to understand it. I never really got it before when you explained it. Couldn't you achieve the same thing by drilling a larger bypass hole in the thermostat itself?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You know... now that you say it that way I am beginning to understand it. I never really got it before when you explained it. Couldn't you achieve the same thing by drilling a larger bypass hole in the thermostat itself?
That is what I said about the hole in the thermostat, but my bypass system worked the best............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts