Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Heres the details... 01 raptor 660, very recent full carb tear down and soaking, bike has run since and ran very nicely. Bike sat for a week after a 5 or 6 hour day at the pits riding hard. When I try to start it will only start with the choke closed, it then idles very high, upon returning the choke to open the bike stalls. If I let it run with the choke closed and get on the throttle it doesn't sound great at all (not surprisingly). I can't see any visible cracks or holes in the air tubes into the carb. I haven't pulled the petcock off, I actually looked in the tank first and the is a tube stickin out, I thought this may be the tube that feeds the petcock but it's seriously only submerged when I'm over half a tank of gas. Just looking for some easy troubleshooting to figure out why I'm so lean. I don't want to spend a lot of coin servings as the snow will fly in under two weeks where I live anyways.

Thanks for the help.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys,

Heres the details... 01 raptor 660, very recent full carb tear down and soaking, bike has run since and ran very nicely. Bike sat for a week after a 5 or 6 hour day at the pits riding hard. When I try to start it will only start with the choke closed, it then idles very high, upon returning the choke to open the bike stalls. If I let it run with the choke closed and get on the throttle it doesn't sound great at all (not surprisingly). I can't see any visible cracks or holes in the air tubes into the carb. I haven't pulled the petcock off, I actually looked in the tank first and the is a tube stickin out, I thought this may be the tube that feeds the petcock but it's seriously only submerged when I'm over half a tank of gas. Just looking for some easy troubleshooting to figure out why I'm so lean. I don't want to spend a lot of coin servings as the snow will fly in under two weeks where I live anyways.

Thanks for the help.
Dirty pilot jets will cause this................too small pilot jets will cause this also....................and if the fuel screw passages are dirty.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't think they are too small, as it was running like a champ a week and a half ago. And the carbs were completely done less than 15 hours ago ride time, is it likely they got that dirty in such a short time?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well I don't think they are too small, as it was running like a champ a week and a half ago. And the carbs were completely done less than 15 hours ago ride time, is it likely they got that dirty in such a short time?
Your symptoms indicate what I told you.....................:)
Or a vacuum leak..................

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm... Given it was cleaned thoroughly recently I wonder if "carb cleaner" would do the trick...

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
"very recent full carb tear down and soaking" & "I wonder if carb cleaner would do the trick"

Carb cleaner alone almost never 'does the trick'... as you may now be seeing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts