Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually took the Raptor out for a ride yesterday. Crazy I know its still brand new. Anyways I went out to the 1/8 mile sand/dirt drags here and wanted more low end so pulled the lid off and took the quiet core off. Lots more low end, I know its not good to run it without a tuner. But how "bad" is it? It ran like a champ. I plan to take the plug out and check if its running to lean. It didn't get hot or anything other than perfect. I'm going to order a gen 3 from whoever soon, but in the mean time is it ok to keep running it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I actually took the Raptor out for a ride yesterday. Crazy I know its still brand new. Anyways I went out to the 1/8 mile sand/dirt drags here and wanted more low end so pulled the lid off and took the quiet core off. Lots more low end, I know its not good to run it without a tuner. But how "bad" is it? It ran like a champ. I plan to take the plug out and check if its running to lean. It didn't get hot or anything other than perfect. I'm going to order a gen 3 from whoever soon, but in the mean time is it ok to keep running it?
I would like to know this also. I took possession of my 06 Raptor on friday. Was poking around on it and noticed the spark arrestor and filter lid have been removed. The power is awesome, but I'm running 93 octane and taking it easy until I can get a tuner.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
yes from the factory they are already lean. so taking the lid off and s/a out u are making it even more lean..the plug might look good as of now but keep running it like that and you will probably need more than just a programmer.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
yes from the factory they are already lean. so taking the lid off and s/a out u are making it even more lean..the plug might look good as of now but keep running it like that and you will probably need more than just a programmer.
Depends on your altitude I guess. A friend of mine took his quad to a dyno to have it tuned and tested, he had a K&N w/ intake, no lid and stock pipe with spark arrestor out as well as a trinity fuel controller. The guy had him remove the controller cause it wasn't needed, he was spot on with stock injection. All the stock Raptor's I've checked the plug on around here were rich... We're at 100ish feet altitude here.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Plug reading on the 700 isnt as easy as that.
Not needing a tuner after doing the lid/baffle is the first Ive ever seen or heard of and Ive been around these things since day one.
The plug is one thing but the specific case I mentioned in my message was with an air/fuel sensor on a bung on the exhaust, done by a pro dyno shop.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
yeah im at about 980ft or so but either way i'd much rather pay the 160 for a gen 3 than who knows how much for a pistion and install.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts