Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got this 05 about 3 weeks ago, it has been running perfect until today. We headed out on the trail today & it started runing bad. It looses power like it is running out of fuel from around 1/2 throttle up. It pops back thru the intake. A few times it would die as soon as you touched the throttle. I went ahead & disconected the clutch/parking brake switch & did the reverse switch trick as well just to be sure. This changed nothing. I am really lost on this thing as it has been perfect & just started this.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
This is usually an indication of jets that are plugging up - possible that you pulled some debris from the tank into the carbs? Certainly, a check and thorough cleaning of the carbs, tank and petcock screen would be a good idea. Last time I had similar symptoms, one of the emulsion tubes above the main jet was partially clogged with varnish.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
QM has some good advice there, and while you're playing around with the carbs check for intake boot leaks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, i just replaced the spark plug a little bit ago as "drewstoy" recomended. The plug that was in it was only a week old & had about 6 hours of ride time on it. The plug looked very odd to me. If you were to stand the plug vertical and look at the white porcelain part, 1/2 of it is still nice & white & 1/2 of it is black. When I say 1/2, I mean like front vs. back or left vs. right, NOT top vs. bottom. QuadManiac, sounds like the carb might be the next step. Actualy having issues with my carb on the 03 as well so I guess I will just pull them both off. The 03 runs fine but leaks fuel from the bottom of the right carb when you shut the motor off. Little worried about doing these carbs myself but, shure we can get it done!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok, i just replaced the spark plug a little bit ago as "drewstoy" recomended. The plug that was in it was only a week old & had about 6 hours of ride time on it. The plug looked very odd to me. If you were to stand the plug vertical and look at the white porcelain part, 1/2 of it is still nice & white & 1/2 of it is black. When I say 1/2, I mean like front vs. back or left vs. right, NOT top vs. bottom. QuadManiac, sounds like the carb might be the next step. Actualy having issues with my carb on the 03 as well so I guess I will just pull them both off. The 03 runs fine but leaks fuel from the bottom of the right carb when you shut the motor off. Little worried about doing these carbs myself but, shure we can get it done!
Check under the mod section on a how to clean carbs............http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20

1 - 6 of 6 Posts