Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, heres my problem.

Im planning on purchasing a raptor 660 from one of my buddies, quad is in excellent shape, looks good, extended axels in back, all new tires, the whole 9 yards. But one little problem, the quad will only run when i have the choke on, making it run at high RPM's. When i take the choke off, it dies out.

Now i have read up on this issue, and found out its the carb. But i get many solutions. Some of my solutions are, to clean the carb out good, unclogg the pilot and main jets free of gunk, or adjust the floats. Also have read some that says its just the pilot jet that is clogged. MANY ANSWERS is what im saying lol. Some answers have said that they did all of the cleaning, ect. ect. and had the same problem still.

If i could just get an professional answer to my problem, mabey include money costs if "just cleaning it" is not going to work.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it rev's up or only runs with the choke applied, it is either running lean or there is a vacuum leak.

Check for a leak by spraying starting fluid or carb cleaner around the carb boots/intake/carbs themselves and see if it rev's up any higher. If it does, there is a vacuum leak.

If not, disassemble your carbs and clean all the jets out. If that solves your problem, you just had crap in the carb.If it doesn't solve it, you may have too small pilot jets or fuel screws are turned too far in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, as far as the vaccum leak, is that an issue that happens due to abuse, or overtime?

The quad ran fine the last time it was ran, it just sat in his garage during the late fall months and thru all winter. And yes with the choke on the quad idles at high RPM's and you can rev it up still, but as soon as u switch the choke off, it dies.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Oh, and it most likely has old gas in it from sitting in his garage.
If you leave them sit with fuel in the carbs and dont use fuel stabilizer then the fuel will gunk the carb and jets up. You need to tear the carbs down and clean them and all the jets. Dont play with any screws like the A/F screw because if the bike is stock you will mess up the jetting. Also make sure you put the jets back in the correct place, the driver side will have a lower main because the choke circuit is in that side.

Next time you store it for a long time add fuel stabilizer to the fuel and shut the fuel off and run the bike until it shuts off to make sure the carbs have no fuel in them.

·
Master of the Electron
15,031 Posts
The carbs need cleaning, period... if the pilot jet is plugged, other passages are nearly plugged too - so just do it, do it all, and do it thoroughly. Just soaking is not good enough - FULLY dismantle (don't separate the carbs tho), rod out all the jets with copper strands, spray thru with cleaner and air... make everything spotless.

Once they're clean, the bike will likely run great. If not, let us know then and we'll help you get it there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts