Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take a look at how my suspension setup looked after reading Johnny Baja's article. I decided to start simple and get the Sag adjustments understood before moving on to compression/rebound.

First off, here is what I got:
2011 Raptor 700
+2 standard length MGC A-arms from JD Performance
Stock Shocks (KMB I believe)
I'm a 220 lb. dood and do both mx and trail.

After following the instructions in the article verbatim, here are my sag measurements:
Free Sag: Front 7 cm or 30% - (Target 3.21 cm or 10%) - so I'm over
Rear 1 cm or 4% - (Target 2.57 cm or 10%) - so I'm under

Rider Sag: Front 10 cm or 43% - (Target 6.93 cm or 30%) - so I'm over
Rear 10.4 cm or 40.5% - (Target 7.71 cm or 30%) - so I'm over

Ok, so what I gather from these results I'm thinking I should focus on the Rider Sag. In doing so I attempted to tighten up the preload adjustment in the front to get within the suggested range. Turns out I could only get about 2.5 cm from the adjustment. Not even close to what I was hoping for. On the rear however, it appears as though I am already at or close to the bottom (or maxed out) of the preload adjustment. Yet still out of the target range. Note the free sag rear measurement is only 1 cm! Does this suggest I need a heavier springs? Or am I totally bass-ackwards on my thinking. If so, can someone offer some suggestions?

Or should I simplify the whole subject and pull the trigger on a pair of Fox Float X and Podium X and make adjustments like this a snap. Especially 'cuz I'm such a fat ass.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
You are going to need some heavier springs/revalve, stock springs are set up for roughly a 150 pound rider. I had the same issue when I got my Raptor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks qwknbad, I kinda figured that was the case. I just wanted to get a second opinion for reassurance.

How do you like your Fox evols? I was considering them and the podium for the rear. Where did you get them? Good price?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Thanks qwknbad, I kinda figured that was the case. I just wanted to get a second opinion for reassurance.

How do you like your Fox evols? I was considering them and the podium for the rear. Where did you get them? Good price?
I like the evols, HOWEVER, I have had to have them rebuilt, once so far, and my buddy who runs them had had to have his rebuilt. Rebuild is about 150 bucks. I do like that with the evols I can set them to any riding style I want, since you are basically valving them with an airpump. The rear podium I have had no issues with and love it. If I was going to do it over again, I might be tempted to run the Motowoz on the front, I have heard lots of good things about them.

The rear podium I got from TQS and he gave me a good price on it, the fronts I got, when I bought the LT a arm kit from Houser. I would get a quote from Steve at TQS.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like the evols, HOWEVER, I have had to have them rebuilt, once so far, and my buddy who runs them had had to have his rebuilt. Rebuild is about 150 bucks. I do like that with the evols I can set them to any riding style I want, since you are basically valving them with an airpump. The rear podium I have had no issues with and love it. If I was going to do it over again, I might be tempted to run the Motowoz on the front, I have heard lots of good things about them.

The rear podium I got from TQS and he gave me a good price on it, the fronts I got, when I bought the LT a arm kit from Houser. I would get a quote from Steve at TQS.

I watched the Dakar this year and the quad coverage was rather impressive this year.
Not one bike was running Fox Floats. hey must wear out quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts