Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i go to this event a couple times of year kinda relaxed event and run the atv races. this year i did a little bit of work to the quad and was thinking about entering the sand drag. dunno why they call it that its more dirt than sand but anyway. im thinking of making up struts and a bit of a wheelie bar to launch a lil harder maybe? i dunno never done this kinda thing but im curious how big a paddle i can turn with my bike. my mods are:
660 raptor 03 motor
bored 102mm 10:1
hotcams stage 2
fmf powerbomb header
Hmf sport muffler
carb jetted accordingly
+2 a arms
+2 swinger
+2-4 rear axle
12 tooth front 40 tooth rear sprockets

anyway any suggestions for paddle size or any kinda hints would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Get rid of that fmf header and hmf silencer. The FMF power bomb header has smaller diameter pirmary pipes. A good single like a sparks or ct pipe would be a minimum. Duals would be perfered.

Then have the cylinder head ported. That really opens them up.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Work on your launching is the way you will get the most out of anything. With your mods I don't think you would need a wheelie bar, most races are won by the rider more then the quad. Should start in second and give her hell, work on keeping the front down and you will do great. As far as paddles I'm no help there but hope someone will chime in. And there is always more you can do to the motor but all that is no good if you can get a good start....

·
Registered
622 Posts
With a start lose ur front brakes it will lighten the front end up a bit
Try bumpin the compression up

Main question wut is ur money spending limit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah money is the issue for sure right now. i guess im looking for paddles first then just trying to get ideas of things to start saving for.
im still kicking myself for not buying my buddy's looney tune duals last year for 300 but didnt really plan all this out.
im going to have the +2 arms on for the atv races 2 hrs before the sand drags, would it really be worth all the effort to swap to stock arms for the race?
what length do yall usually make your struts? or you just go low as you can and keep a lil ground clearance?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I wouldnt swap arms just for a casual drag race. If your building a purpose drag bike then yea it would be worth it.

As for paddles and drag racing you cant go wrong with skat trak haulers, or extreem haulers. As for the size and paddle numbers i couldn't tell you.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
set the bike up with aarms even, and swinger even. then mesure for struts. ive ran 22 tall extreme 10 paddle haulers on mine pulled hard..

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah money is the issue for sure right now. i guess im looking for paddles first then just trying to get ideas of things to start saving for.
im still kicking myself for not buying my buddy's looney tune duals last year for 300 but didnt really plan all this out.
im going to have the +2 arms on for the atv races 2 hrs before the sand drags, would it really be worth all the effort to swap to stock arms for the race?
what length do yall usually make your struts? or you just go low as you can and keep a lil ground clearance?
Dont worry about the looney tunes exhaust theres alot better exhausts out there cuz the lte duals is actually a single exhaust into two pipes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so by even you mean you mean like each parallel to ground or front and back right for the quad to be level? and your thinking i'm making enough power to turn 10 paddles? or i gotta do more mods to be able to?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Seems like a lot of paddle to me. To many paddles can be just as bad as not enough. You want some wheel spin out of the hole to keep the rpms up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you should get 22x11x8, 10 paddles. Haulers are great @ 7/8 (24mm) tall and very light tire. The Raptor has the power to move these tires, but you may need to "sprocket" accordingly. I run 21x12x8, 8 paddles and they work great. But I think it needs more paddle.

Like it was said above, if your just racing for fun, get the paddles that you can afford. V paddles are great, but not design for drag racing. Also, and I can't stress this enough, LOWER your bike. Even if it's the front only. It will help inmensely with your start and you'll be able to start harder. No need to change A-arms if your just racing for fun. A good, adjustable wheelie bar can help a lot, but can also cause headaches if not adjusted properly. It will also add weight (and cost).
This is just my opinion, I hope it helps. Have fun. Lots of fun...

TORKER.

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
To give you some advice on your questions. As far as paddles I think 10 scoops is gonna be to much especially since you said the track isn't very sandy. I would recommend a cheep paddle if your only doing this a few times a year. They will be much better than knobbys but not overkill. Unless you get into it really seriously and start making much bigger power, buying skats is gonna be a waste of money. All the cheeper variety come in 8 scoops and will be plenty for what your gonna do. As far as diameter I would recommend 21 or 22 inch.If you rode dunes regularly then skats would be worth the investment. As far as strutting the front and determining the length of the struts you need you can experiment with a ratchet strap. Push down the front and tighten the strap and tie up the loose end. Go do a few launches in the most similar dirt you can fine. If it needs to go lower then tighten it more. If it needs to be higher loosen it up. play with it till it feels good then measure and make your struts. as far as the back I wouldn't strut it again because you said It's not a very sandy track. If it's a clay sand or real coarse sand You better off having some give in the chassis. Tightening up the rear shock would be a good idea tho. Play with the setting and make note of it, before and after, so you can quickly adjust to the setting before the drag race. An no don't bother changing your A-Arms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To give you some advice on your questions. As far as paddles I think 10 scoops is gonna be to much especially since you said the track isn't very sandy. I would recommend a cheep paddle if your only doing this a few times a year. They will be much better than knobbys but not overkill. Unless you get into it really seriously and start making much bigger power, buying skats is gonna be a waste of money. All the cheeper variety come in 8 scoops and will be plenty for what your gonna do. As far as diameter I would recommend 21 or 22 inch.If you rode dunes regularly then skats would be worth the investment. As far as strutting the front and determining the length of the struts you need you can experiment with a ratchet strap. Push down the front and tighten the strap and tie up the loose end. Go do a few launches in the most similar dirt you can fine. If it needs to go lower then tighten it more. If it needs to be higher loosen it up. play with it till it feels good then measure and make your struts. as far as the back I wouldn't strut it again because you said It's not a very sandy track. If it's a clay sand or real coarse sand You better off having some give in the chassis. Tightening up the rear shock would be a good idea tho. Play with the setting and make note of it, before and after, so you can quickly adjust to the setting before the drag race. An no don't bother changing your A-Arms.
Agreed with all. Less expensive too, and it will work. Great advice.

TORKER.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts