Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been to any sand dune before but have some friends bugging me to go with them to the little sahara dunes. I know that my raptor would be a blast there without a question. But what about a 4x4??? The people I ride with have a grizzly, magnum, brute force... How would these do? I don't want to get these people to go there and then hear about how they didn't like it. So, I guess my main question is what are the pros/cons to riding the dunes with a 4x4? Any input/info woulld be great!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ive had fun riding the dunes with ATC 70's:D I think they will have fun for sure, heck some of those 800cc 4x4 might even give you a run for your money!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks. thats kinda what i thought. Like i said, i've never been to any dunes. What works? What doesn't? Will just any tire do or do the deeper luged tires work better? I was thinking of getting a cheaper set of sand tires for my raptor after the first visit if everything goes well, but thought the mud lite xl's would be fine on my brute.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I have run the dunes a lot with utility quads, only ever run a sport quad at LS but saw a lot of utes there.

My father had an 04 Prairie 700 with some 27" mudlites (not the xl) and at around 5 psi they were great in the dunes.

I would recommend getting some paddles for the 700, you can have fun without them but if you're planning on duning more than just once a year I'd certainly get the paddles. And whatever you do don't go there and buy the dirt cheap paddles they have at the little race shop at the camptround. Those STI brand paddles are crap and you'll be begging to return them as soon as you take them into the dunes and they won't do it, I've seen a few people try. Steer clear of sand geckos and paddle masters and you should do ok. My favorite v blade molded paddle is the itp sand star, favorite straight molded is the kings tire turbo paddle. But there are some good Kenda and GBC molded straight and v paddles out there for relatively low prices.

·
Registered
386 Posts
my friends got me started riding the dunes 3 yrs ago and havent looked back,where i live in B.C. canada there are no dunes, so we travel 14hrs to either spinreel or coos bay both are fun. up until this yr i have been riding my grizzly 660 there and found turning my mud lights around worked wonders, (just swap the rears ).
i dont know what LS is like but in coos bay they are med size and lots of rolling hills so it makes it possible, but last yr we went to st.anthony and found the dunes there much bigger and not so 4x4 friendly the big hills and steep climbs were no good and most times sketchy to ride.imo if you are to do this i would recommend getting sand paddles it will make things easier to get on top of the sand and stay on top, the mud lites will just dig and its hard to keep them on top to keep momentum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dunes are fun, but what about CINDERS!

BTW, I'm soo on my way there Monday! Can't wait... :beer:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have riden a few different 4x4 quads at ls. My mom has an 850 polaris, it is fun and with a set of paddles will be fast out there but even without you can make it up anything with a little run. I had a 400 honda rancher out there and it sucked. 2wd spin all day and 4wd not enough power to do much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before I even picked up my raptor I was thinking about going to some sand after watching the motorcycleusa vid of the DTR racing raptor build. I don't plan to go out and look like i know what I'm doing, just wanna have some fun!
For those of you who have been to little sahara, how was it? Will I need to get a permit (for being out of state), or need a pass to get it? I was looking into going to silver lake and was told you need some sort of pass to get in and park/unload?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just a word of warning from Glamis. Watch out for the sucker holes/witches eyes!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Before I even picked up my raptor I was thinking about going to some sand after watching the motorcycleusa vid of the DTR racing raptor build. I don't plan to go out and look like i know what I'm doing, just wanna have some fun!
For those of you who have been to little sahara, how was it? Will I need to get a permit (for being out of state), or need a pass to get it? I was looking into going to silver lake and was told you need some sort of pass to get in and park/unload?
You need a state park sticker for everything(Quads,Trucks-cars). I think they are $7 a day. You can buy yearly but I'm not sure of the price. You will also need a ORV Sticker for anything going into the dunes. They are 16.25 each.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ya LS is SOO much fun! It costs $18 per vehicle to get in to the area/park and expires the next day at dusk. Sand Mountain was a lot of fun to camp at and you are in the middle of all the good riding spots, especially to the south of sand mtn where there's some nice spots to ride. I don't know if the rules have changed but I think UT used to accept out of state ORV stickers but not sure if they do anymore.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I didn't remember it being that much, thought it was 10 or 12 bucks, but as PSMSandRap said it's a daily access pass. You buy an arm band and it allows you into the park.

For silver lake you need a state park passport ($10 for annual) for the truck you're towing the trailer into the parking lot with and each your atvs, a state ORV sticker ($16.25 for annual) for any machine going into the dunes, and on weekends during the summer a parking lot voucher, which is a free ticket you just have to stop at a hut before you get into the gate to pick up. They use them to control crowds on holiday weekends but use them saturdays and sundays throughout the summer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.