Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these any good? KENDA SAND GECKO REAR TIRE - 18x9-8 I am thinking of buying 2 sets for my quad please see my signature to determine if these will work good on my bike and my other stock 700. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
No, they're junk, don't buy them.

And whatever tires you get, don't buy 18" paddles. Opt for 20, 21, or 22" depending on what kind of riding you're going to be doing.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not too much for a stock 700? They will be for riding dunes no drag racing though just out to have fun and maybe some racing but like I said just for fun. Where's a good place to buy them from price wise? And what brands are good? How many paddles do I need for my modded machine and then the stocker?
Thanx

·
Registered
3,302 Posts

And whatever tires you get, don't buy 18" paddles. Opt for 20, 21, or 22" depending on what kind of riding you're going to be doing.
+1

That's not too much for a stock 700? They will be for riding dunes no drag racing though just out to have fun and maybe some racing but like I said just for fun. Where's a good place to buy them from price wise? And what brands are good? How many paddles do I need for my modded machine and then the stocker?
Thanx
IMO 20" Sand Star, Skat Trak Hauler, or Skat Track Edge are great all-around dune performers. The 18" tires are great if you have a Raptor 80, not a 700.

I've purchased many sets of tires from RMATV with good results. If you want to know exactly what you are buying (rollout, type of buff, etc) , call John at Sand Toyz Unlimited. This guy knows more about tires than anyone I've talked to. He knew EXACTLY what I needed when I told him what quad I had, how much power I had, how much I weighed, where I rode, and what type of riding I did. I highly recommend him.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts

+1 md knows his stuff

+1

IMO 20" Sand Star, Skat Trak Hauler, or Skat Track Edge are great all-around dune performers. The 18" tires are great if you have a Raptor 80, not a 700.

I've purchased many sets of tires from RMATV with good results. If you want to know exactly what you are buying (rollout, type of buff, etc) , call John at Sand Toyz Unlimited. This guy knows more about tires than anyone I've talked to. He knew EXACTLY what I needed when I told him what quad I had, how much power I had, how much I weighed, where I rode, and what type of riding I did. I highly recommend him.

+1 wobble always gives soild advice

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Alot of people have spent more money than needed by trying to run paddles they got a deal on, they try set after set wasteing more money every time. Do yourself a favor and call a good company like Fullerton Sand sports, talk to dave. Or john at Sand Toyz Unlimited. Tell them what, where, and how you ride & they will tell you what set up will work best for you. You dont have to buy from them, but they do have great prices & are always there to help you. :beer:

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
I wouldn't call the Geckos junk, they have their place but it's not in dry loose sand. I've got a pair of 21" 10 paddle Gecko pluses and I use them for rooted up pack dirt climbs, they work good for that. And like most others said, definetly not a 18" either, for what you're wanting you definetly want to stay with some kind of Skat Trac.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The only paddle on the market that I have experienced as a worse tire for sand/dunes is the GBC Paddle Master. It's a good mud tire, but it has no place in the sand when you consider so many better tires are available for within pennies of the same price range.

Same thing with the Gecko, it's called the "sand gecko", and if it isn't anywhere near as good as the direct competition in the sand then yes I'd say it has miserably failed at it's primary objective. If you have another use for it that's fine, but it's meant for the sand and in the sand it's junk. Few are buying it solely for it's performance on hardpack and I certainly won't be judging it on that criteria.

Skats are great, but their starting price range is about twice as expensive so I understand if not everyone can/wants to run them. But there are lots of good molded paddles out there like some from GBC, Kenda, ITP and Maxxis that are not far off the price range.

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
I have a set of them. Got them for free when I bought my 700 new. In all honesty they don't do much better then stockers in the sand. I call them Sheckos. You can probably figure out why. The sad part is Dirt Wheels gave them a good review for straight line performance.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have a set of them. Got them for free when I bought my 700 new. In all honesty they don't do much better then stockers in the sand. I call them Sheckos. You can probably figure out why. The sad part is Dirt Wheels gave them a good review for straight line performance.
I thought you had a 660. When I did a search on... I think it was Raptor 660 through Google Images, it showed "Fat Guy On A Little Quad"

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
Yeah, sometimes DW makes me wonder how much a good review costs if ya feel me...
I hear ya seg. My subscription just ran out and I didn't renew after about 12 years of getting it. Just seems like it's one big advertisement even in there articles. Seems that the same brand are always favored in there shootouts and it seems that the same aftermarket brands are always used in there "projects".

·
The Moose Rider
1,644 Posts
I thought you had a 660. When I did a search on... I think it was Raptor 660 through Google Images, it showed "Fat Guy On A Little Quad"
Auh..... what? That's me in the pic on my 700 and I made the pic frame myself. If you find the pic on Google someone else copied it to there. Stop reading here so much and read you school books a lil more. You'll be glad you did later in life.:cool:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why would I want to go with the haulers over the blades or vice versa on sand tires? What will one do that the other won't? How many paddles do I need if I choose haulers?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts