Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some "If I knew then what I know now" advice for me? I'm planning to make my first trip to Sand Lake in a couple of weeks, and am taking my wife and 7-year-old boy.

Three Qs:

*Is it mostly sand or should I bring along Hefty sacks and duct tape to wear in the mud?

*How cold is cold down there this time of year (I'm in Washington state).

*Should we wear more than just jeans and sweatshirts/hoodies?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm new to owning quads and riding with the family; in the past I've always borrowed a buddy's quad and went riding with him - always in the summer.

Much thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's all sand...no Hefty Sacks required...unless you want them for rain gear, or picking up trash in the sand...

As far as weather goes... Go to www.noaa.gov and type in "Netarts, OR" for the weather forecast. That should get you pretty close. I imagine it'll be cold and damp there in the morning...you will be at the beach, so that's what kind of weather to expect.

Couple Rules of Thumb for Sand Lake:

1. The trail around the perimeter is unofficially 1-way. If you ride the trail, ride in a clockwise direction.

2. Do not ride along the top side of the bowls (there are 2 bowls there). Ride straight up to the sides (next to the trees) to go around the bowl and ride down to the bottom. Lots of folks racing up the hill will not see you and may run into you if you aren't paying attention...

3. Parking is $10 on the pavement, $5 or NW Forest Pass to park in the sand or the staging area on Derrick Road.

4. Where a helmet and make sure you've got a flag (obvious...but not everyone does it).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Click here for sand lake info. http://www.oohva.org/ohv area pages/sandlake.html

Great time of year to go with the family, not to many people. Get there no later than 10:30 am you should have no probs finding a parking spot. Pick a good weekend or prepare for cold,rain,wind. Parking in the sand your required to have a NW Forest Pass and flag for your vehicle also. Heading north on the beach on the right there is a nice hill to ride up. Just before the first bowl on the eastside there are some steep tree shots to go up :grin_nod: and just north of the first & second bowl the most important his & her out houses. Be very carefull on the trails people are always going the wrong direction :mad:. Have fun!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HappyHour said:
Damn that sounds like a good time!
Sure does. I just checked the forecast: rain - all three days. Should make for mediocre days of riding and terrific nights (the wife cuddles more when its cold). :wootwoot:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Regardless of the size of the place, its still a great place to ride! Was just there 2 weeks ago!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts