Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, along with the rappy zx10 build im shooting for i also have a lil toy in the form of a 280hp sand rail. its a mid-engine (motor is placed in front of the axle vice behind) and its fast as :wow:

i bought it from a guy in LA with a stroker Corvair motor. (6 cylinder older chevy car) its a 99 scorpion model and ive done quite the few mods to this. replced the motor (first things first!) got an engine sandrail package out of Phoenix a honda odyssey 3.5l v-6 built the VW tranny to all weddle gears to a 412 ring and pinion. All 4 marvin shaw shocks replaced with Fox Coil Overs. bigger steering box. installed stereo and speakers. and now i am building longer and bigger A-Arms for the front suspension. thats an in process build right now. Home made spindles from 1/8" steel and home made a arms from DOM Mild steel .021 wall thickness. ill post pics later when i get the chance. i just wanted to express what ive done so far to it, im doing all the work myself and just recently (past 6 months) started welding again so its all a "lets try and see if it works" hobby so far. :eek: from time to time it can be hectic.

just thought i would share (oh and btw the LS1 cars and turbo VWs have a rough time taking me up the hill or on the drags. its a hoot)

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice, but why so small? my buggy is well closer to a monster truck sbc 400 cdi engine aprox. 500 hp for now... till i get a little more $, 4x4, 4 link suspension with 14" travel (for now). im constantly upgrading something currently a full hydrolic steering conversion in progress. weight is 3500 lbs biggest problem is getting it to hook up, needs some good tires. :D

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Because weight is the name of the game out here. The lighter and more RPM you can turn, usually the better you'll do through the dunes, and a heavy low rpm SBC would not help that lol. Often I watch the long travels go through the dunes, and it's noticeable how much quicker and better handling the Suby motors are compared to the LS motors. My other play toy is a Baja bug, but I'm happy with my 80hp for the moment :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
weight and power mean nothing without each other its the power to weight ratio thats important and i do just fine. and for rpms a sbc will turn plenty if built right. i do realize light is nice out there but i use mine all terrain go anywhere. this includes dragging the occasional large tree out of the way, and deep snow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've since sold that car and got a bigger one. Ur talking roughly 500 at 3800lbs? That's good for crawling. But like PW said its all about the lighter weight and more power. I have a bigger car now prolly 2100 lbs. I synopsis at the different settings, OFF-10lbs of boost at 330hp, LO-14LBS of boost at 410hp, and HI aka KILL MODE-26lbs of boost at 550hp. I have a sleeved 2.5 closed deck subie motor with a monster 70 Turbo. Its a beast none the less. Low end power isn't huge. But once I build boost it picks up quick.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
look at the WRX engine, less weight.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
956 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill tell ya 100mph on the sand is moving! That rail is sliding around and when u cross the gradual hills at the drags at Gordons Well, the front end just floats.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.