Raptor Forum banner

Sand tire Help

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  RadRap700 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone has a set of skat trak edges 20x10x10. i think a v shaped 10 paddle must make it hook up better for straight line and still be able to manuver better what do you guys think? sand stars are only 8 paddle. or should i get the edges in 21x12x8 another option that might be good. or just go with the sand stars please help me make up my mind

Update i now know i want the extremes or hualers help

#2 ·
Re: sand stars vs. skat trak edge

V-paddles do not hook up as well as a straight blade, they sacrafice straight line performance for cornering and carving ability.

I think 10 paddle will be too much for your bike unless you drop down your gearing and spend all your time in sugar sand.

The edges are a lighter, better paddle but they also come at a price premium. If you do a lot of duning and have the extra cash they're the better choice, but the sand stars work great for the weekend duner.

#4 ·

turboedsupe said:
I agree with maddog the sand stars hook up fine but the edge's are way to heavy man. Those extra paddles are goin to slow you down up top. Get the haulers man and if your really against them then settle for the sand stars
Who's post did you read?

Maddog56 said:
The edges are a lighter, better paddle but they also come at a price premium...
The edges are lighter, they are on a buffed tire...

However, I agree that he should go with haulers or extremes (also on buffed tires).

#6 ·

i had haulers buffed 7 paddle on my yfz but i didn't like the hook up as well as the extremes but i want to be able to do a donut. i have lots of power on my 502 yfz with all the mods and buffed haulers were still near impossible to donut with. i want to be fast on hill shoots and flats but also want to turn sharp going slow. i like the extremes though any opinions? so the edges are better then the stars?

#7 ·

Something interesting to think about, atleast for our group, is that one of my buddies are running the 10 paddle haulers I believe, and the roost he throws even in casual riding makes it impossible to shred the dunes with him leading. The Sand Stars keep the sand at bay. I don't know about the Edge paddles, as we have not run them. Also, with two of my friends on equally built yfz's, one running haulers and one running Sand Stars, they are about neck and neck up the hills. They both weigh around 185lbs, and are both good riders. Just my 2 cents!

DJ

#9 ·
I read an article where they had the Skat V-paddles on it and they thought it didn’t turn easy enough for their liking. I do know the Sand Stars turn well.

#10 ·
I know i want the haulers or extremes RMATV only has the Haulers Available in these sizes

20x10x8
20x10x10
20x11x9
22x11x10
22x11x8

what one should i get i need to order these so i get them in time for the dunes. i think if i got 22" it would ride weird have the stock size on the front. any help appreaciated

#11 ·
I just ordered the 20X11X9 haulers from Rmatv. Very happy with the service and the tires look great. When I put the haulers next to my ITP XC's that are the same size they look alot smaller though so now thinking I should have gone with 22's. But I will get some hellacious wheel spin with the 20's for sure.

#12 ·
fastcrazyhurt said:
I know i want the haulers or extremes RMATV only has the Haulers Available in these sizes

20x10x8
20x10x10
20x11x9
22x11x10
22x11x8

what one should i get i need to order these so i get them in time for the dunes. i think if i got 22" it would ride weird have the stock size on the front. any help appreaciated
I like 22x11x8 but it depends on how many paddles are on them. A tall tire with too many paddles will eat your HP.

#13 ·
well i ended up deciding to get the sand stars. i bought a Rear set for the of 20x10x8 on douglas .190 rims for $200. rmatv is out of hualer 22x11x8 and their price is worth waiting for i am going to use the sand stars for playing this next weekend when i goto Florence, Oregon. what is a good front sand tire? i read all these paddle tire threads on here by now and have learned alot this is a great forum! and decided to have a tires for drag and messin around sand stars seem to be the way to go for all around hualers and extremes are the best for drag and and can be spun if you get 20 with a 10 inch rim size. i have 7 paddle haulers on my yfz450 but they spun to much i think they were the wrong size. for the raptor definatlly 22x11x8 hualers or extremes. i will let everyone know how good a 20x11x8 sand star is i didn't read about very many people using an 8 inch rim w/sand stars yet.

#14 ·
Thinking about getting a set of 22X11X8's for the Wife's 700.

Should I go with 8-paddles?
Extremes or standard?
She won't jump the bike at all, which rims should I go with?

Was also thinking about possibly going with a double-buff??? There can be rocks where we ride but, she generally stays away from those areas.

Going to put a pipe (looking at Curtis Sparks or LTE), K&N with ProDesign adapter and Power Commander III on it.

#15 ·
DuneMe said:
Thinking about getting a set of 22X11X8's for the Wife's 700.

Should I go with 8-paddles?
Extremes or standard?
She won't jump the bike at all, which rims should I go with?

Was also thinking about possibly going with a double-buff??? There can be rocks where we ride but, she generally stays away from those areas.

Going to put a pipe (looking at Curtis Sparks or LTE), K&N with ProDesign adapter and Power Commander III on it.
Get 7 paddle haulers. Stay away from the double buffs unles you are hillshooting or racing. Go with the .160 rims.

#17 ·
just threw my 1st set of paddles ever one yesterday.........and id have to say sandsharks are my pick! i run a uni filter with my sparky out and not even the DRAG SHEE stood a chance.........weird eh? these tires did it all for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.