Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a set of ITP Sandstar tires/rims for my 08 Raptor 250 (with all GYTR mods)... 18x9.5-8 rear & 21x7-10 front. At 165 lb and going on my first year(+) getting back into riding (rode dirt bikes for about 6 yrs in my teens/twenties) and only have ridden dunes at Glamis with my quad's worn down original OEM knobbies...

http://www.youtube.com/user/StaushAA?feature=mhum#p/u/0/m6bBt8zLzq0

Before I take them out (& own em')... ya think I went too small for the rears?
Thanks in advance for the assistance,

S.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Man I don't think I would go anywhere below a 20....But I haven't used a 18 either, so....:unsure:

·
Registered
197 Posts
18 inch tires are usually only used for Motocross but it won't hurt anything...you will just have a lot more torque

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It will hurt flotation. Try running lower tire pressure to compensate.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
18 inch tires are going to make for a harsher ride. and worse traction over 20 inch tires that will have better flotation and smoother ride.;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's only a 250, smaller wheels/tires equals less rotational mass, plus you are 165lbs. The 250 comes with 19" tires instead of 20" tires for a reason. It also has 20" up front, why switch to a 21"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Highly rated tires were on sale (now that's sort of a misnomer)... Either had to go 21s or 19s...the 20s came in narrower. You know, riding is a blast…but, it’s a lot of work also-
Thx for your input~

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Discovered something interesting today...

First, I've gotta back up the bus a little. Along with the paddle tire set I received, I also acquired a new set of knobbies…the rears being OEM size & the fronts 21 (same scenario as the front sand tires). Anyway, I went out today with the new shoes...
WOA! With the 21s on front…way better performance trail riding (more forgiving especially with regard to severe dirt-bike & rain storm ruts in the trail. I like them WAY better than the original Dunlops that came with the quad…

·
Registered
836 Posts
Nobody likes those shit dunlops.. I hope Yamaha starts a trend of putting Maxxis tires on all their vehicles like they did with the Raptor 125.. I think Dunlop makes the worst tire. Honestly, if it wasn't for all these companies like Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. I don't even think Dunlop would still be in business lol..

I run 20" tires in both the front and rear. I like the configuration I have now, it's much better for doing wheelies than having bigger tires in the front and smaller ones in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts