Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
went to moses lake yesterday and my buddy let me borrow his itp sandstar tires. This was the second time out at the dunes in moses(2nd time to any dunes). The paddles made a big difference, so i'm wanting to buy a set of sand tires as my own.

I don't have any engine mods, but thinking of installing a stage2 cam, and a 12.1 piston, prolly only .10 over. I have a slip on with stock intake. I just bought a +3 long travel front end and a +6 inch swing arm. All with matching shocks. gearing will be 12 front and 44 rear. Wanting to stay with a 22" tire for ground clearance.

Moses lake is mostly hard packed sand with some soft sand in areas. There are areas with alot of rocks. you can go anywhere in moses with regular dirt tires, and my mudlites did good the first time i went out there. So paddles are not required out there, but they make it funner. I do plan on going to some dunes in oregon with my buddy and his friends, (one by eugene).

I have not been to any other dunes, but if and when i go out to the other dunes i will be riding alot of the trails out there, so turnable and side hill traction is a must. I'm not worried about being the fastest out there. I don't drag race everyone out there, just a few fun drags. I like the hill climbs, and jumping off the tops.

I was talking to my buddies dad today and asked him why he went with the sand stars, and he said since they ride trails, the v shape makes it easier to turn, and gives you the side traction needed.

so to the question, which tire do you recommend in my situation. Does the vshape really make it that much easier to turn? do the Skat trak haulers make that much of a difference? are they that much harder to turn with? How many paddles do you recommend i run with my current/future mods? Remember i have a +6 swinger so i'm not worried about being able to keep the nose down.

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have v shaped skat traks and haulers (straight paddle). and it is really hard to tell the difference as far as turning. Ive had all kinds of paddles and love the haulers, light weight and best hook up. as far as number of paddles the more you go with the more low end, less number more top end. 8 would probably be a good #.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't run the skat traks on any hard surface you well tear them up. get a fully molded tire they don't tear up as easy. if you ride sand only at the dunes than I would go with the skat traks in a heart beat. just my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts