Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I received my new OEM lower control arms from Partzilla about 2 weeks ago or so.

I finally unwrapped them out of the box today and I am a little undecided if I should be pissed off or not about the finish on them. They were both wrapped up in the factory Yamaha sticky bubble wrap so they didn’t get banged around in shipping to me I believe. There are scratches and scuffs (fairly minor) on both arms.

Should I be disappointed with this? Is it common for parts from Yamaha to not be in “perfect condition” as a new part?

I understand that these are going on a quad, and quads tend to get played with hard. Rocks are most likely going to hit and chip them anyway so...

I’m not building a show quad, and I guess my question is, should I ask for an exchange or should I just put them on and not worry about it? I’m a bit new to the quad world coming from primarily sport bike riding, so I’m pretty OCD about keeping my bikes clean and pristine. I’m just wondering how some of you would feel about this.

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I wouldn't be happy about it, but they will look like that pretty quickly trail riding.
I'de use some touch up paint, and I put A-arm guards on anyway.
The biggest thing right now is, good luck getting replacements anytime soon...and they may look just the same.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd be pissed and wouldnt want them, but partzilla customer service is mediocre on their best day, they are taking weeks and weeks to ship and i wouldnt even think about how bad it'd be to return an item with them, i usually use rockymountain atvmc, even if it's more money. You can actually speak to them

So, I received my new OEM lower control arms from Partzilla about 2 weeks ago or so.

I finally unwrapped them out of the box today and I am a little undecided if I should be pissed off or not about the finish on them. They were both wrapped up in the factory Yamaha sticky bubble wrap so they didn’t get banged around in shipping to me I believe. There are scratches and scuffs (fairly minor) on both arms.

Should I be disappointed with this? Is it common for parts from Yamaha to not be in “perfect condition” as a new part?

I understand that these are going on a quad, and quads tend to get played with hard. Rocks are most likely going to hit and chip them anyway so...

I’m not building a show quad, and I guess my question is, should I ask for an exchange or should I just put them on and not worry about it? I’m a bit new to the quad world coming from primarily sport bike riding, so I’m pretty OCD about keeping my bikes clean and pristine. I’m just wondering how some of you would feel about this.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 141269 View attachment 141270 View attachment 141271 View attachment 141272

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Partzilla has always been excellent for me, and I always get anything in stock in 3-5 days.
Partzilla(or anyone) can't sell what they can't get, and since they don't make the parts, they have to return them to Yamaha, or their supplier for replacements.
Unfortunately, in manufacturing, when demand is high, it usually means that more defects slip past QC(or are allowed to) in their haste to ship product.
As said, auto touch up paint.
A rock from the trail or street would do the same damage at any random time.
Is that the kind of new part we really want though? No, but it's hard to see, easily fixed, doesn't effect function, and most of all...good luck getting a replacement anytime soon...replacements which may look exactly the same.
Pick your battles.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Partzilla has always been excellent for me, and I always get anything in stock in 3-5 days.
Partzilla(or anyone) can't sell what they can't get, and since they don't make the parts, they have to return them to Yamaha, or their supplier for replacements.
Unfortunately, in manufacturing, when demand is high, it usually means that more defects slip past QC(or are allowed to) in their haste to ship product.
As said, auto touch up paint.
A rock from the trail or street would do the same damage at any random time.
Is that the kind of new part we really want though? No, but it's hard to see, easily fixed, doesn't effect function, and most of all...good luck getting a replacement anytime soon...replacements which may look exactly the same.
Pick your battles.
Were you ever able to finish your build with the all black plastics? I'm almost done with mine, waiting on that elusive black fender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Were you ever able to finish your build with the all black plastics? I'm almost done with mine, waiting on that elusive black fender

Yes, I got all the oem black fenders from Partzilla months ago, and they showed up in a couple weeks vs the 2-3 month back order they originally gave me.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Very nice, we have very similar set ups. What's that on your coolant reservoir? No graphics?

It's an aluminum guard over the coolant tank.

I was/am undecided on graphics, so a friend made me these ghost in Cobra emblems(the bad guys on the 80's G.I.Joe cartoon).
They were free, lol, and can only be seen in certain lighting or angles.
They'll do until I decide what I really want, which will be a factory looking black and or gray something.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Do is it actually cool off the engine?

CFM claims a 4-6 degree drop has been tested.
Does it? Possibly, but I cannot actually say.
I do think that directing more air at the header and engine can't hurt either, especially the hotter the day.
The faster you go the harder the engine works(unless it's downhill), and the more heat you make. So, with the added speed, if I can scoop, catch, and direct more air at the engine, maybe, maybe the extra air flow can help compensate for the normal small rise in temperature.
I like to say that 212 dgrees is boiling...but 211 is just really hot...so one degree Can matter.
I have all the possible cooling mods done to my 700. It has never ran over 211f, or idled higher than 217f(Vapor has max memory)...and stock the fan doesn't even come on until 225f.
Besides, the aluminum scoops match the rest of the aluminum that contrasts against the black. I took the scoops off, but put them back on, as I really just like how they look, lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
CFM claims a 4-6 degree drop has been tested.
Does it? Possibly, but I cannot actually say.
I do think that directing more air at the header and engine can't hurt either, especially the hotter the day.
The faster you go the harder the engine works(unless it's downhill), and the more heat you make. So, with the added speed, if I can scoop, catch, and direct more air at the engine, maybe, maybe the extra air flow can help compensate for the normal small rise in temperature.
I like to say that 212 dgrees is boiling...but 211 is just really hot...so one degree Can matter.
I have all the possible cooling mods done to my 700. It has never ran over 211f, or idled higher than 217f(Vapor has max memory)...and stock the fan doesn't even come on until 225f.
Besides, the aluminum scoops match the rest of the aluminum that contrasts against the black. I took the scoops off, but put them back on, as I really just like how they look, lol
Definitely an interesting look, how do you think it affects overall acceleration and speed? Funneling air into the engine, must slow you down a bit.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Any drag they cause would never slow you enough to notice, I doubt even hundredths on a time slip.
They really aren't dragging the air anyway, just slightly turning it.
Put a big piece of cardboard on it's edge on the floor in front of a box fan, turn the cardboard slightly, the wind direction changes with it, kind of like a rudder, same effect.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any drag they cause would never slow you enough to notice, I doubt even hundredths on a time slip.
They really aren't dragging the air anyway, just slightly turning it.
Put a big piece of cardboard on it's edge on the floor in front of a box fan, turn the cardboard slightly, the wind direction changes with it, kind of like a rudder, same effect.
does it help with the horrendous inferno that comes out from the exhaust pipe?

·
Registered
2008 yamaha raptor 700r
26 Posts
I wouldn't be thrilled that they can't ship a part that I payed good money for and I didn't receive it in pristine condition. No excuse for that. That's like me shorting them a $100 on paying for a part, they wouldn't be happy. The other part of me tho would get over it fast cause my brand new upper and lower a arms after 4 days of hitting the trails hard look alot worse than your new ones lol. So if it were me I'd leave a negative review warn others so they know and throw them on my quad and put more scratched and Knicks in them on the trails 😁😁

1 - 20 of 20 Posts