Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my new seat cover just arrived and I’m very eager to get it installed. And I just want to make sure I’m installing it properly. Because I see conflicting info, some people install it over their old cover. Some people remove the old cover and use fabric glue on the new cover and the existing foam to prevent
Wrinkles some people put it in the dryer first.. some people use rivets as opposed to staples.. let’s discuss.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I've done lots of seats.
I always remove the old cover first, and use small uphosterly staples.
I never use glue, as it can bleed through, or pull chunks of foam out if you remove it.
Glue has it's place, but only for seats that are dished out, have high places on either end or both sides, where tension on the cover could lift it off the foam, but the 700 seat does not have that shape, and does not need glue.
Use a hair dryer if you need to heat it up to remove wrinkles, or simply soften the cover material.
If you have a warm day, you can even lay the cover in the sun.
Place the new cover over the seat foam, and center it, make sure you have enough material to tuck under it all the way around.
Start at the front center, make sure the cover is positioned correctly, and put one staple in.
Also, test the staple in the plastic pan for depth first, and if it's pneumatic, make sure the psi is enough, but not too much.
Too much psi will actually damage the cover and punch the entire staple through it.
So, with one staple front center, start stretching and pulling the cover, and work left and right, back and forth evenly.
Working down both sides until reaching the back center.
If you just staple 4 corners and center, you're going to end up with creases or wrinkles you can't get out.
You can cut small slits in the corners on the material that will be on the bottom of the pan. That isn't always needed, but can help fix small wrinkles.
You can space the staples an inch or 2 apart as you go, keeping the cover tight, then go back and add 1 or 2 between the staples that are already there.
And, just be patient and don't get discouraged, you can pull staples out and replace them, or start over, just choose staple placement on the material wisely. As in, try to keep them close to the same pan location as stock, and keep them from the edge of the material.
Trim excess cover material After the cover is completely stapled and secured.
And, check the plastic seat pan for sharp edges, file or trim if needed, as a sharp spot can easily tear through a cover.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I have also seen covers that are made to go over the original cover.
I personally do not like them, as they tend to look bulky after install, can be a pain to staple without hitting exhisting staples, and are harder to get to fit correctly if you remove the original cover first, as they are just a little bigger.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I wonder if mine was designed to go over? I got it as a gift. Is there a way to tell my looking at it?

I have also seen covers that are made to go over the original cover.
I personally do not like them, as they tend to look bulky after install, can be a pain to staple without hitting exhisting staples, and are harder to get to fit correctly if you remove the original cover first, as they are just a little bigger.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Interesting, I wonder if mine was designed to go over? I got it as a gift. Is there a way to tell my looking at it?
Try to put it over your seat now.
If it seems too tight, and doesn't have much slack to pull under, then you know your current cover needs to come off.
If it just drops over and seems to fit well, then you may be ok putting it over your current cover.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it seems too tight, and doesn't have much slack to pull under, then you know your current cover needs to come off.
If it just drops over and seems to fit well, then you may be ok putting it over your current cover.
It seems to fit well over my current cover but I think I’ll still remove the current cover and do it how you said and I’ll just trim away any excess in the valley

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That cover definately looks like it's made to go over the exhisting cover.
You will probably have some slack that will be hard to get out if you remove the stock cover first. Most likely at the top front side seams.
It will take more effort to get that cover fitting correctly with the old cover gone, but it will still work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the same seat cover and it was a poor fit. Does not go over the old cover, at least mine doesn't. Took a lot of work to make it look decent, still have a couple of small wrinkles but it does match the quad nicely :) What year is your quad, I think the older seat is a little thinner than the newer.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I have the same seat cover and it was a poor fit. Does not go over the old cover, at least mine doesn't. Took a lot of work to make it look decent, still have a couple of small wrinkles but it does match the quad nicely :) What year is your quad, I think the older seat is a little thinner than the newer.

View attachment 140111
The sewn on ribs make the material under it harder to get the wrinkles out of, especially where most of your weight sits.
But, it does match well, and looks like you did a really nice job.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mines an 06 I’m re building and I wow I hope mine looks as good as yours does!

View attachment 140111

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was going to have Hiflite make me one to match my 07 but they didn't have the material anymore. They said It was around 12-14 that they changed the seat so that is probably why yours is fitting so poorly. I would take it to a automotive upholstery shop and see if they can cut you a piece of foam to take up some of the slack. If you pull it tight the way it is it will just put all the lines off center and probably have some big wrinkles still.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
This^

And Hiflite!
Whoa! Blast from the past!
I haven't heard of them in years.
I remember when their tall seats were all the rage in the 80's and 90's.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s a good idea, I haven’t tried installing it yet, in the picture it’s just sitting on it. I might staple it on and see how it looks. It doesn’t seem that overly large to me but I may discover that’s not the case when I go to install!

I was going to have Hiflite make me one to match my 07 but they didn't have the material anymore. They said It was around 12-14 that they changed the seat so that is probably why yours is fitting so poorly. I would take it to a automotive upholstery shop and see if they can cut you a piece of foam to take up some of the slack. If you pull it tight the way it is it will just put all the lines off center and probably have some big wrinkles still.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes back in the mid 90's early 2000's when my kids were still kids we had Banshee's, Blaster's, Tecate's, 250r's and even a couple of quad runners all with matching Hiflite seats, shock covers and billet flamed parts. The 07 Raptor was the last that got the treatment and the only one of that group I still have.

banshee (2).JPG
DSCN8083 (1).JPG

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey everyone, my new seat cover just arrived and I’m very eager to get it installed. And I just want to make sure I’m installing it properly. Because I see conflicting info, some people install it over their old cover. Some people remove the old cover and use fabric glue on the new cover and the existing foam to prevent
Wrinkles some people put it in the dryer first.. some people use rivets as opposed to staples.. let’s discuss.
If anyone is curious how it turned out, here is a photo.

·
Registered
2006 raptor 700
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That turned out great.
Did it end up going over the stock cover?
Thank you! And actually there was a tear and some of the foam was missing, so I contacted a local automotive upholstery shop and they said they would repair the foam and install the new cover for $40 dollars. So I got them to do it. It turned out better than I could have imagined and I think $40 was cheap enough! I was kind of looking forward to doing it myself but the foam issue pushed me away from it. They removed the original cover, repaired the foam and installed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts