Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see if you can help on this one guys and gals...I've been doing some minor stuff to the YFZ the last few weeks since I bought it, and yesterday was really the first I've had a chance to actually make sure I put things back together correctly, so to speak. Everything starts up right, fluid levels are good, so I got it between the garages (live in an apartment complex) and just basically wanted to make sure I could go through all the gears, even though speed wasn't an option. Success! Next, at a rolling idle with the clutch pulled in first, I tried to drop the hammer a bit and this is where the issue is. I got the bog that these bikes are notorious for, just for a second, then it came out of it and took off. I have stock pipe (not sure if the baffle is removed or not, I'm not sure what I'm looking for), no lid, and no idea what the current jetting is on the bike. I did the zip tie mod last week thinking that if I did have a bog, this would take care of most of it. Nope. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
That's normal!!! After the big 3 get yourself an aftermarket accelerator pump cover. It's a cheap mod that really wakes her up on the low end. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn you carp! Lol. I'm dealing with two bikes right now! Who has money to throw at two bikes? In all seriousness though, do you know of any way to get rid of it. I guess I should say it was more than just a second. It was like it was going to stall out and then it just hit.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah man every stock yfz I've seen does the same thing. It's just because they have huge mains but restricted air and exaust. So your basically flooding it. You just gotta put the right parts in it. I tell you what you can do if your on a budget. Cut out the screen inside your air filter and pull the baffle out of the exaust. That'll help a bit!!

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Damn you carp! Lol. I'm dealing with two bikes right now! Who has money to throw at two bikes? In all seriousness though, do you know of any way to get rid of it. I guess I should say it was more than just a second. It was like it was going to stall out and then it just hit.
I know what you mean about 2 quads. I'm sold my banshee yesterday just waiting for the stuff I'm trading for my DS650 and that will be gone and I'll be down to 2 Raptors. That has been my goal for awhile but when you have 2 of the same you can easily swap parts.

As far as the bog it sound like some jetting issue. I'm sure QM or Willy would know. I know Willy works on them YFZ's.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah man every stock yfz I've seen does the same thing. It's just because they have huge mains but restricted air and exaust. So your basically flooding it. You just gotta put the right parts in it. I tell you what you can do if your on a budget. Cut out the screen inside your air filter and pull the baffle out of the exaust. That'll help a bit!!
I was under the impression that stock jetting on YFZ's was too lean, as opposed to too rich? I don't understand jetting, as I've never done it myself. Been too scared to pull the carbs apart without having someone who's done it before there to help. Also, I'm not sure if the baffle is in the exhaust or not, I'm not sure what to look for to see if it's there.

I know what you mean about 2 quads. I'm sold my banshee yesterday just waiting for the stuff I'm trading for my DS650 and that will be gone and I'll be down to 2 Raptors. That has been my goal for awhile but when you have 2 of the same you can easily swap parts.

As far as the bog it sound like some jetting issue. I'm sure QM or Willy would know. I know Willy works on them YFZ's.
Yep, they are a money pit, haha, and I didn't go the intelligent route and get another Raptor where I could trade off parts, I went with something I have to buy different parts for. Makes sense. I'll probably shoot them a PM here at some point and see if they can point me in some sort of direction too.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I heard on the earlier yrs. of the yfz that there was a cam timing mod that could be done. You might want to google it and find out but I'm pretty sure you just retard the timing slightly.
And you may be right on the lean issue overall but your problem is in the very beginning of the powercurve. Meaning, when you punch it and it stalls it's definetly not because it's not getting enough fuel lol. Everything else is trying to play catch up if your following me here. An accelerator pump cover will help a great deal. Like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-YFZ450-Y...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bb53b840
And when you get a jetkit they are VERY simple to install so dont be afraid of that whatsoever. Plus you have a great resource here on the forum for any help you may need.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, there is a cam mod, at some point I will do that, in fact, it will more than likely be done when I'm home next month. Basically it makes the timing the same as the YZ450F. The accelerator pump is definitely something I will look into as well. Also, the more I look at the whole jetting thing, it doesn't look too difficult, I guess I made it out to be more than it actually is. I guess what I'm really worried about is actually taking the carbs apart and putting them back together wrong. And I have no clue where to start on the jetting. If I had someone to tell me, get these jets, now install them, I could probably do it, but without that knowledge I'm like a blind puppy. I know that's like asking someone to do the leg work for me, especially with so many jetting and carb threads out in the world, but I read them and it makes my head spin.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, now I have different problems. So yesterday everything was fine other than the bogging issue. I go out there today, all I did was change the plug, and now I can't even get the darn thing to start. All I'm getting when I hit the starter is a buzzing noise from some little deal right on top of the battery. Shit!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
flat battery?!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know. It wasn't an issue at all before. Hit the button and it starts right up. Now today I go out and mess with the plug and I get problems.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah, there is a cam mod, at some point I will do that, in fact, it will more than likely be done when I'm home next month. Basically it makes the timing the same as the YZ450F. The accelerator pump is definitely something I will look into as well. Also, the more I look at the whole jetting thing, it doesn't look too difficult, I guess I made it out to be more than it actually is. I guess what I'm really worried about is actually taking the carbs apart and putting them back together wrong. And I have no clue where to start on the jetting. If I had someone to tell me, get these jets, now install them, I could probably do it, but without that knowledge I'm like a blind puppy. I know that's like asking someone to do the leg work for me, especially with so many jetting and carb threads out in the world, but I read them and it makes my head spin.
Just get the dynojet kit, it will come with all of the jets you might need. Throw a full system pipe on there along with a good intake and go with the stage 3 that dynojet recommends and go from there. Your elevation will play a role so you might need to change jets depending on what your plug looks like but it wont be far off from the recommended setup from dynojet. And dont worry about taking the carb apart. Your not really doing much. Only the float bowl needs to be removed to access the main and pilot jets and the top cover needs to come off to change needles. No big deal. ;)
flat battery?!
+1

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have to get a new battery, great, just what I need to do is go buy another new one, lol. Just bought one for the Rappy too. I don't know why I'm complaining, you gotta pay to play right? FML. Probably going to Walmart here in a few minutes then.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Thats it!!!!!! Just when I thought I liked you, you go and tell me you shop at wallmart WTF!!!! I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits and balls

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm sorry carp, I don't exactly have an abundance of choices on where I can shop around here. This place is a shithole and it's either Walmart or nothing. I would have bought it at Advanced Auto when I was there earlier, but they didn't have anything for my model.

Camel fleas on my balls, that seems a little harsh, doesn't it?

Just tried shorting across the relay to make sure, that's not it. Got plenty of sparks, but no start, so I have to assume it's the battery as well, and I am on my way to go pick one up right now. I'll let you know how it works out shortly.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thats it!!!!!! Just when I thought I liked you, you go and tell me you shop at wallmart WTF!!!! I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits and balls
:wow::wow::wow:Seem to have a bit of hate for Walmart? I shop at Meijer lol but I'm sure you don't know what that is if your not from around here. By the way that is a cool Smiley;) and good luck with the Fleas there cdg097:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol I would much rather shop at Meijer, but there is no Meijer up here. Like I said, it's either Walmart or nothing. At least it's cheap entertainment late at night. That being said, I went to the pet store and got a flea collar and got rid of them, thanks carp. Also, Zach, I've not heard a peep back about my billet dash, lol what gives? Holding out on me? Unfortunately, I have to put the new battery on the charge for a while, and since it's so late at night, the test will have to wait til morning. I took the old battery to Advance Auto and there was not even enough juice for them to test it, so that must say something right there. Said to hell with it and bought a new one. Walmart of course because Advance didn't have the one I needed.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
:lol: I'm just messin with ya bro! I do hate wallmart though LOL I'm a union carpenter and wallmart wont hire any union employees to build their buildings. They dont support the idea of paying people a living wage weather it be in the construction of their facilities or paying their own employees wages/benefits they can sufficiently live off of. Not to mention the way they undercut every other retailer and monopolize the market all with chinese goods and that directly impacts our jobs in america. But I hear ya man if that's all you got then you have to shop there. Not surprising really! They are putting every other retailer out of business.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
LMAO, I'm dealing with three, good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:lol: I'm just messin with ya bro! I do hate wallmart though LOL I'm a union carpenter and wallmart wont hire any union employees to build their buildings. They dont support the idea of paying people a living wage weather it be in the construction of their facilities or paying their own employees wages/benefits they can sufficiently live off of. Not to mention the way they undercut every other retailer and monopolize the market all with chinese goods and that directly impacts our jobs in america. But I hear ya man if that's all you got then you have to shop there. Not surprising really! They are putting every other retailer out of business.
I know you are. That's what's good about this forum, I can tell who I can mess with and who is gonna mess with me back, lol. That sucks about Walmart not hiring anyone union to build any of their shit. I was unaware of that. Haven't had to deal with any of that stuff in quite a while, being Army and all, but that time is fast approaching. Well I guess not so fast, once I get out, I'll still have a few years while I'm going to school, but you know what I mean. But yeah it's Walmart or one of the local chain stores where the prices are outrageous. I'd go broke just buying groceries every week if it weren't for Walmart up here, and Walmart isn't cheap either.

In other news, I put the new battery in (bigger battery), hooked 'er up, and Ooooow weee if she didn't start right up. Put that seat on and got between the garages to see if the new plug helped at all with the bog. It actually did. The old plug was pretty dirty, so it obviously hadn't been changed in a while, so we'll see when I actually get a chance to get out and run it through it's paces.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts