Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a major piston manufacturer and we are working on bringing new products to our customers, specifically for the 4-stroke ATV market. Some machines we are targeting include:

Yamaha Raptor 660/700, YFZ450
Polaris RZR 800, XP 900
Honda TRX450R
Kawasaki Brute Force, KFX700, Prairie

We are producing a superior product above anything else that is currently on the market, withstanding higher horsepower levels, more boost, larger nitrous applications, and more technical tunability.

Giving us suggestions/feedback from your current experience with aftermarket pistons in these machines will help us better improve the quality parts that you may already have.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I've ran nothing but cp pistons the only reason I need to change one now is a screw got sucked threw the engine.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes your product superior?
Primarily we are an automotive piston company, though we have done ATV and UTV pistons as customs for the last 3-4 years. In that time we have experimented with several different options such as hard anodizing, DLC coated pins, and other thermal barrier coatings. Along with that material thickness and forging design itself will determine the overall strength and longevity of a piston.

Our plan is to take our years of experience and develop a line of stocking parts that meet and exceed the needs of the enthusiasts. That is partly why we are asking the questions we are here at the forums. We want your feedback to build the best piston we can.

Thank you for the question and keep them coming.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Primarily we are an automotive piston company, though we have done ATV and UTV pistons as customs for the last 3-4 years. In that time we have experimented with several different options such as hard anodizing, DLC coated pins, and other thermal barrier coatings. Along with that material thickness and forging design itself will determine the overall strength and longevity of a piston.

isnt that the same thing cp has done? what brand piston are you guys making as i am in the automotive racing world also

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
There are current companies that offer such specifications and design details that you have already mentioned, but that doesnt mean that designs cant be improved.

As far as whether what you have is better....who knows...the only way you can find out is to toss out some product. Id get hooked up with a vendor here at the site and see if they would be interested in selling your product on a temporary basis to "feel" the market.

I think your best bet is going to be common size pistons and a wide range of compression ratios, everything from pump gas pistons to High comps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are current companies that offer such specifications and design details that you have already mentioned, but that doesnt mean that designs cant be improved.

As far as whether what you have is better....who knows...the only way you can find out is to toss out some product. Id get hooked up with a vendor here at the site and see if they would be interested in selling your product on a temporary basis to "feel" the market.

I think your best bet is going to be common size pistons and a wide range of compression ratios, everything from pump gas pistons to High comps.
Thank you for the info, that is our plan on the grand scale. We were looking for information from the enthusiasts themselves in an effort to avoid the product bias that we would get from a shop.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
To be fair, I'll be a guinea pig for you; if you make the piston I want. PM me your info(or I could do the same) and when you start selling them I'll pick one up and try it out....do a little right up on it and review it for the guys here and on other forums.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I too run a CP 105mm, 10.75-1 Piston with a +5 HR Crank so my C/R is 11.5-1.. I would like to know what kind of rings do you run on your pistons? I run my quad hard an need to re-ring after about 150hrs will your set-up last longer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes on longevity. I am an amateur racer in AMA D38 desert racing and we need good products that can hold up to 2-3 hours of HARD abuse. If you are looking to hit the market with some high volume pieces, i would recommed the Raptor 660/700, yfz450, trx450 and kfx450. those seem to be the largest # of bikes. I also would love to try out your product and am willing to buy a 11-12.5:1 piston asap. Message me for info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
+3 on longevity, and a piston kit is always nice to get everything at one place. Im running 12.5 Wisecos in my rappy with great results but my banshee eats pistons about every 6-8 months specifically the skirts break... Last time around I had Wiseco's they broke then went with a package deal with Full Bores WSM forged package and they lasted half as long so now im back to Wiseco,so id be interested in more info too!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Longevity and a deck height corrected piston would be nice. If its a 12.5 to 1 on the box it would be great to actually have that in the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I appreciate the feedback. And for those who are wondering, we represent Diamond Pistons.

Our goal is to be every bit as durable as the best stuff out there, but bring some of the options we use on our automotive and marine pistons to the ATV/UTV market as a more common fixture.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. And for those who are wondering, we represent Diamond Pistons.

Our goal is to be every bit as durable as the best stuff out there, but bring some of the options we use on our automotive and marine pistons to the ATV/UTV market as a more common fixture.
Would this be Nick with diamond pistons? I along with a few others have ran diamond piston's in the past. What will be new?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts