Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil (Royal Purple) in my Raptor last weekend and then took it out for a day at the dunes. Towards the end of the day I noticed that the motor started seeping a little oil in the back where the crank case and lower cylinder wall meet. Is this a major issue that I should repair or just keep monitoring? I would hate to tear it all down if it's not necessary. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have you just freshly rebuilt your motor and got excess oil on it from the rebuild? Sand will stick like crazy to just a small amount of oil, looking like a leak. If it is leaking sound like a base gasket issue and should be fixed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I put a new piston in it a few months back. I have three long rides on it and just noticed the seepage after the last trip. It isn't puddling up but it was enough to notice the sand sticking to it when I was cleaning the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I would clean it real good with some carb cleaner and then see if it is in fact leaking...and if it is, I would fix it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree clean it up then try to use it some time then check if there are any trace of oil.if so then may be you might need to change the gasket and seal.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I cleaned the spot that I saw some potential seepage really good last week and rode the piss out of it this weekend. I didn't see any of the same signs of seepage as last time. I guess the oil or possible seepage was left over from the rebuild or changing oil. Thanks for the advice guys!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts