Raptor Forum banner

Sensor on TrailTech computer already pooched!

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Tiggyboot 
#1 ·
WTF, one mud ride and the sensor is already f'd on my endurance computer. I pulled the wheel and hub off and was able to determine that the sensor is no longer working properly. I'm using the magnet bolt in the stock location on the rotor mount and the c-clamp piece for the pick up. It worked great until one run in the mud, which wasn't really all that bad. Anyway, if I take the spare magnet and put it across the pick up, it works fine, the bolt magnet doesn't. The magnet is still ok, but the sensor now shows signs of corrosion on it. The plating on the end seems to be lifting. Anyone else have this problem? How long is the warranty on these POS?

MK

Discussion starter · #2 ·
nobodys had their sensor go bad? I'm certain mine took on water or something. Although it worked fine before, I think the alignment is giving me trouble too. Not so much the distance between the magnet and the sensor, more the area of coverage as the magnet passes the sensor. I'm half at best. I'm using the C-shaped bracket that came with the computer. I'm thinking I might make a new one that aligns better.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
what is the alignment like on yours? are you using the stock silver c bracket that came with the kit? that is what i'm using and it's not really in the correct spot. The distance between the magnet and pick up is probably about 4mm, which is perfect, but the magnet barely covers half the pick up as it goes around, which side do you have your sensor mounted on? mine is on the driver's left side

Discussion starter · #7 ·
6-6-0-R said:
Water and mud shouldnt do anything to that sensor , I been useing and installing trailtech since they came out , be sure to check everything first.
Your sensor doesnt have to line up in the middle , as a matter of fact it will cause the sensor to be off alittle , it should be off set just a bit to get a good reading off the magnet , if you still need a sensor , let me know and I will see if I can help you.
Thanks for feedback. I would think the sensor is what's called IP67 in the electrical world (I'm an electrical eng.). In other words, water and dust tight (like a frogs ass lol). I'm certain that the sensor is nothing more then a simple reed switch. The magnet closes the contacts each time it passes, making a complete circuit. I verified that my computer is working fine by pulsing the inputs with a piece of wire. The sensor still works, but only if I use the spare loose magnet and run it by the sensor by hand. The one on the rotor doesn't get sensed anymore. Oddly enough, the magnet on the bolt doesn't seem to have the strength that the loose one does. That would explain the loss of pick up. The magnet shouldn't loose it's power like that though,not after a few months.

I'll give Trail tech a call tomorrow, even though I've heard their support isn't very good. At worse case, I can pick up a new sensor and bolt at my local shop fairly quickly. Just a pain in the ass to take everything apart again!!!

MK

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Spoke to TrailTech this morning. Got good info on what the problem might be. Apparently they make the sensor cable. They insert a reed switch inside the plated brass sensor body and fill it with epoxy. They claim that on occassion, the sensor is too close to the end of the sensor body and causes grounding issues. They said the remedy is to isolate the sensor from the C bracket. They said to use teflon tape, rubber washers and what not to remove any electrical connection between the metal body of the sensor and the c-bracket. Or, replace the cable, they gave me an RA# for replacement. So that is cool. Also verified that the C-clamp is correct. The magnet should not pass completely over the sensor, you want it offset a bit to work properly. So other then the cable, I'm good to go.

Something you guys can keep in mind for your installs. I wonder if this issue played into the prior Vapor issues?

MK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.