·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just wondering is it just stupid or would it be cool

so im guessn

aftermarket a-arms long travel ? stock length ? +2+1
Aftermarket Ressy shock
rear swingarm extended? or stock length?
aftermarket axle pretty sure everyone gonna say extended
aftermarket Ressy rear shock

what else do u guys think needs attencion ive been jumping some sizeable sets on my 660 and i am bottoming out even when not landing flat and landing nice and easy but still fun to jump the big beast alredy got the grab bars nerfs and all that

ya i guess i could buy a 450 but i got a raptor sooo this is what im gonna use

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Suspension can be expensive, but it's well worth it. The rear is a good shock and can be rebuilt, resprung and revalved for your needs.
I have the stock rear axle still and in a rough trail it will skip side to side, I was told by a few people this is due to the front being wider than the rear.
I need to get a +4 or so axle.
My arms are +2 wider but not forward. When I was looking for a frontend I found a site that talked about forward arms and the only machine they recomended them for was the banshee. It had to do with the center of gravity being moved forward. Alot of retailers say the +1 forward is the way to go but never gave a reason. Wish I still had the site bookmarked but I don't. You may try calling some people that sell both styles and ask what the benefits and drawbacks are to the two different setups.

As for having ressies on the fronts, I think it's a good idea if only for the extra oil that the shock can hold. After a day of riding I grabed the rezie on mine and it was almost hot.

As for not getting a 450 because you already have the 660. Look at the cost of getting the 660 to where a stock 450 is and think about it.

[attachment deleted by admin to free up space]

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
firstraptor said:
As for not getting a 450 because you already have the 660. Look at the cost of getting the 660 to where a stock 450 is and think about it.
I agree, but he shouldn't just think about it, he should do it. You can drop 4k into suspension and you're still not going to have the machine you want/need. Start with a 450 and you'll hit your desired point a lot faster and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Maddog56 said:
I agree, but he shouldn't just think about it, he should do it. You can drop 4k into suspension and you're still not going to have the machine you want/need. Start with a 450 and you'll hit your desired point a lot faster and cheaper.
You'd be surprised at what 2k-3k will do.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I've got around 2k into my suspension and it handles a lot better, but it's nothing like even a stock yfz in the air.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey gytr. I also have a Raptor that I race. I am actually racing arenacross. I beat another raptor, a TRX, and (believe it or not) an LTR. My raptor is stock and it beats the hell out of me but I am competitive. I agree with buying a YFZ. It would probably be better, but when you beat other guys that have the perfect track bike it feels twice as good then if you beat them on a race bike. I am looking into what type of suspension I want. I was just going to start out with YFZ shocks, a smaller tire and wheel spacers, but now I am going to just buy a bad ass suspension. That tax return money should come in pretty handy...lol

·
Registered
885 Posts
If you are serious about wanting to get into FMX, drop the Raptor and go with a 450. I have almost 4K in suspension/wheels/tires and it still doesn't feel as good as a 450 will when you jump it. It's bigger and heavier. A Raptor with suspension is a killer trail quad, and an okay track quad at best. Unless you can shed some pounds off of the big Rappy, you are just going to make things more difficult for yourself. Thats completely up to you though. Any suspension upgrades on the Raptor is an improvement, but when it comes to catching major air you are going to hold yourself back sticking with the Raptor. Just my opinion.

If you do decide to stay with the Raptor.. Go long travel everything.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
hit up the +3's too.. might not be the best for trails (the tight ones anyway), but they rock on the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts