Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im currently in the middle of rebuilding my 05 raptor 660. i almost have it together but i don't know how to set the timing. there is no mark on the camshaft sprocket. i downloaded the manual but i still don't understand it. any help would be great want to get this thing back together and riding. thanks a lot.

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
The dots are spaced such that you can ONLY see all three when the cam is properly clocked. If I recall, one will be on top, center, and the other two split, right at the top edge of the head - one on one side of the head, the other on the other side of the head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
set the piston at top dead centre, for this the turn the crank counter clockwise till you see the i mark on the flywheel lined up with the mark on the casing. Then look at the 3 punch marks on the crank sprocket, one is covered by the small metal strip under one of the sprocket fixing bolts so make sure you can see all 3 marks.
The mark near the fixing bolt shoul be facing up and the other 2 punch marks should be dead in line with the top of the head. Make sure you have the flywheel mark and the sprocket marks all in the right place at the same time and the timing will be correct.
Set the chain tensioner, check the marks again, fit the cam cover and turn the engine over by hand! Simple!
But its not simple, its actually a 3 handed job! I know this cos i've just done it on mine!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright so i understand how to set the timing now but for some reason there is a piece coming off of my gasket that goes into where the timing chain is. it stops the tensionar from moving at all so that i can get the chain on the sprocket. is that saposed to be there?

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
The tensioner should be removed before you attempt to alter timing, as it will stretch out the timing chain and render it junk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright the chain is on the sprocket but when i turn the engine over manually the valves are not moving at all? could it have fallen off at the bottom. is the only way to check that splitting the case?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a N00b with these, but the way it appears to me, 9,12 & 3 oclock position on the dots on the cam gear - crank mark lined up - chain on - install tensor with everything aligned?

seems fairly straight forward although that is using this keyboard & theory ;)

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
alright the chain is on the sprocket but when i turn the engine over manually the valves are not moving at all? could it have fallen off at the bottom. is the only way to check that splitting the case?
Yes the chain may have fallen off the crank gear...........
You may be able to get it back on with the help of a couple long screwdrivers and patience............
you could also remove the stator cover and look behind the flywheel and see if the chain is on using a mirror.
If you can not get the chain on by using screwdrivers, from the top of the engine, remove the flywheel and you will be able to place it on the sprocket................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts