Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I wrecked my rappy loading it into the back of a truck and it banged up the plastics pretty good so i was thinking about shaving them... If all fails I will just buy some new ones.

What did yall use to cut them and was it very hard?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I used a dremel with the large cutting wheel (only like 1"diameter or so). I would make a guide cut in the direction the wheel turns and then go back over it the other direction a couple of time to make the final cut. Was really easy, just go slow and dont try and cut all the way through at once. I tried that first and it wanted to catch and jump around. It melted plastic but that just came off with my fingers. Then I used a utility razor knife to clean the edge up more. Then some 400 grit on a block to make it straight and then some 1500 grit to smooth and last but not least hit it with a heat gun to make it shiney again.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
YellowistheFastest said:
I used a dremel with the large cutting wheel (only like 1"diameter or so). I would make a guide cut in the direction the wheel turns and then go back over it the other direction a couple of time to make the final cut. Was really easy, just go slow and dont try and cut all the way through at once. I tried that first and it wanted to catch and jump around. It melted plastic but that just came off with my fingers. Then I used a utility razor knife to clean the edge up more. Then some 400 grit on a block to make it straight and then some 1500 grit to smooth and last but not least hit it with a heat gun to make it shiney again.
Sounds like a big process... :( You have some pics of your finished product. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ive cut lots of banshee plastics with a dremel tool and a large 1" cutting disc. Works great!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Havent took any pictures of it. If I can remember to find the camera I will take some.
Didnt take too long to do. You are only sanding a single edge that in totosl is probably 5-6 ft long. If you use a dremel defenitly use the larger 1" wheel. I broke my last one and had to finish with a little half inch wheel and it sucked.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
When you are done the rough cut with the wheel or hack saw, we filed it with a metal file to get it as straight as possible. After that we sanded the edges smooth but there were still little plastic shavings sticking out. We used a small propane tourch to heat up the edge holding it about 5-6 inches away to melt the remaining plastic shavings. My son went over it several times to eventually close up the pores on the plastic. It turned out awesome. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
YellowistheFastest said:

That's pretty much the way I did mine, time consuming but well worth it for the finished appearance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Pnumatic cut off tool and once your done, razor knife the edges to smooth them up.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Machy said:
well since I dont have a dremel I used a branch cutter :lol: Now I got to find a way to smooth out the bad edges...

How much is your average dremel?
after your branch trimmer, grab your bench grinder and hold it on end to give it that "finished look" just be careful it doesn't catch an edge and take off across your fender and buzz your seat in half :'(

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Machy said:
well since I dont have a dremel I used a branch cutter :lol: Now I got to find a way to smooth out the bad edges...

How much is your average dremel?
after your branch trimmer, grab your bench grinder and hold it on end to give it that "finished look" just be careful it doesn't catch an edge and take off across your fender and buzz your seat in half :'(

:haha: :haha: :haha:

I don't care who you are, thats funny.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Duane said:
digitalhearing said:
Machy said:

If your most approptiate tool to shave fenders is your tree trimmer,,,,you might be a *******. :rofl:
You made my day Machy !!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Here is a step by step I made on some banshee fenders. Same will work on the raptor... Sorry its a little long.
Here they are full...

Measuring everything out..

Taped off even

Then I draw over the tape with a marker to make a line, dont have to, but I like too.

Cut it with the dremel tool...

Sand down the edges..

Here they are done..

·
Registered
973 Posts
Then if you want to or need to change color..
I just primed them up..

Painted them..

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
LOL...the salesman at the dealership said the damn 700 fenders hurt everyone that walks by all the time cause of the points...lol. Yeah that banshee fender might hurt a few too, I like the paint job!

·
Registered
478 Posts
digitalhearing said:
Duane said:
digitalhearing said:
Machy said:

If your most approptiate tool to shave fenders is your tree trimmer,,,,you might be a *******. :rofl:
You made my day Machy !!
I would actually suggest giving the weedeater a shot if the tree trimmer does not work!!

I laughed my arss off too when I read that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.