Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok its been cold lightly and it warmed up now. i havent started my raptor in a while and when i tried today it didnt start. :wtf: it would only turn over. what could i do to get it going easier. i even have a battery charger on it. and the plug looks good. so please help me out.

thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after reading some other forums. i think it could be my plug even though it looks good. ill buy a new one i guess and go from there.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
About a week ago I had the same issue, plug "looks" fine, try changing it anyway. Mine fired in half a crank after I changed the plug. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ok, now that this can of worms has been torn open...I will give you what I have experienced thus far.

After my third ride, on my left over "06" [mind ya this thing only has 6 hours total on it then] I ride it onto my open trailer all wet and dirty afer a 2 hour ride...and when I get back to the shop, I try to start it and bing bang boom it did not start. All it did was crank and every once in awhile it would backfire, LOUDLY...Holly shit that silencer sounded like a M50 going off.

So, I decided to push it off of the trailer and put it away...the next time I go to ride it, it starts up fine. I pull it onto the trailer after letting it warm up and then decide to leave it run, while I was straping it down and right out of the clear bkue sky, it shuts down, like I hit the Kill Switch...much to my dismay...I guess I was shocked. I go up onto it, shut the key off, wait a few minutes, turn the key back to the on position, leave the fuel pump kick in and then try to restart it, and wam it starts. I duno, wth?

I then take to the ride, start it back up and ride without any issues at all.

Next time, I deicde to ride, I pull it out of storage and wouldn't you know, the damned thing started up...so I get to the riding area and wouldn't you know that damn thing would not start again...I had to have someone pull start my sorry ass, just to get this brand new machine running...wtf?

I had many issues with it the entire time I rode that day. It would shut off in mid trail, sort of sounds like its not getting enough fuel at times and when it backfires it seems like it getting to damn much fuel.

I pulled the plug before I had a friend pull start me, and the damned thing was wet and coal black, I then replaced the plug and still it would not start, here we go PULL START MY SORRY ASS!

Additionally, this Raptor does not have a thing done to it except for cosmetic's and protection, no internal or even a pipe, airbox mods or anything that could spell trouble or insinuations (sp?)

My Raptor is going to go to the Stealership for a good go over...and sounds like my injector is messed up, what do you folks think?

I am at my wits end, any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Lets hope it's not the injector. All this "oil in gas" shit had me calling the dealership too. Figuring I might be in the injector boat as well, I asked "how much for an injector?" The injectors are on BACKORDER!!! :(and that is the word on the street everywhere. That sucks shit!! Right?!?! Hopefully Kyle just needs a sparkplug. Hopefully the dealership can fix you up too seven00! :unsure:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i fuckin hope so. because my raptor has low hours but alot of mods. and i was hoping to spend money on my truck so it better be just a spark plug.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Check your valve clearances too. It may not be the dause of this issue but, it should be done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having starting problems as well, Its got spark, its got fuel, its got air, all the fueses/relays are good, I JUST put the spark plug in, it strted fine when i loaded it into my truck, i started it once in my truck to show my buddy the vapor system, i unloaded it and treid to start it and all it does is turn, it tried to start once or twice but by the time I let go of the start button it was done.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I unloaded mine off the trailer today, started up and let it warm up a bit. Took off across the field and after about 100 yards it was like someone turned the key off. No nothing. I loaded it up and came home but can't figure it out. I changed the plug, no-go. After cranking it the plug is still bone dry. I pulled the front plastics off and pulled the fuel line off the pump and it's pumping gas. I can't see any spark on the plug though. Checked all fuses.... HELP!! :(

Now it's Monday morning and can you believe my local stealership is closed on Mondays!!!! I've talked to a few guys and still no clue what went wrong yet. We got snow last night so I couldn't ride it anyway but I'm nervous what this fix is going to run me. :eek:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Yes, sort of... It will crank for about 10 seconds and go dead but when i charge it on my smart charger it shows full. I put a jumper pack on it and it will crank forever but still not start. Do you think that's it?
I just dropped it off at the dealership so i'll have the results hopefully tomorrow. :'(

·
Registered
102 Posts
i dont understand how any gas could ever get mixed with the oil save a catastrophic engine failure

a lot of starting problems have to do with valve clearences. if the valves aren't closing all the way it'll be very difficult to start.

if you have never adjusted the valves i would do that before you mess with anything important or sensitive.

ive bought more than one bike/trike/quad off craigslist that wouldn't start, backfired, etc... for really cheap... adjusted the valves and they run perfectly.

your quad might start cold because the valves are closing enough, or closed, but when they heat up the metal expands and maybe they aren't closing all the way, making it run shitty, and if you get into low engine speeds it might just shutoff and not start until its cold...

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Makes sense and that will be done also but mine had zero spark. It's at the dealership right now and the latest update was confirming that it was something electrical. Hope to know more today. The battery also seemed to take a crap on me suddenly, I have a tender on it and it never had gone dead in the past but last week it just seemed to die. That sux on a bike less than a year old. :mad:
It's also not uncommon for gas to get into the oil on cold start-ups and running. I ran a lot this winter in sub-zero temps and my oil always diluted. You just have to watch it and change it more often, (like every 1-2 weeks) it's fine now that the weather is warming up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well mine better start today. because all mine does is just keeps turning over and wont start either. so i bought 2 new spark plugs and hopefully tonight it will start. IT Better. i just spent 200 dollars on a racing wind shield for my artic cat crossfire 8 sled.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
The plug is always the best place to start. Sounds like batteries are also a good thing to check. Don't get too attached to your wallet, mods are awesome but not too cheap for the rappys. ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
Makes sense and that will be done also but mine had zero spark. It's at the dealership right now and the latest update was confirming that it was something electrical. Hope to know more today. The battery also seemed to take a crap on me suddenly, I have a tender on it and it never had gone dead in the past but last week it just seemed to die. That sux on a bike less than a year old. :mad:
It's also not uncommon for gas to get into the oil on cold start-ups and running. I ran a lot this winter in sub-zero temps and my oil always diluted. You just have to watch it and change it more often, (like every 1-2 weeks) it's fine now that the weather is warming up.
how did you break your quad in?

that sucks if the rings are not sealing well when its very cold, the thermostat should make it run at the same temp reguardless of outside temp

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I agree but on start up the cylinder is cold (along with the whole engine). We've got a KTM factory race team mechanic who rides with us and he tipped me off on that. I didn't do anything special for break-in, I rode it normal. Changed oil & filter after 15-20 hours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
I agree but on start up the cylinder is cold (along with the whole engine). We've got a KTM factory race team mechanic who rides with us and he tipped me off on that. I didn't do anything special for break-in, I rode it normal. Changed oil & filter after 15-20 hours.
that really is lame, still shouldn't leak anything past the rings even when its cold.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble. :lol:

Of the 20-30 bikes and quads out there of all makes and sizes it's a common thing so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Still no word from the dealership on my baby! :mad:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :metal: I bought a new spark plug for my raptor...and it started in less than 3 seconds literally. Thank god that was the problem!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.