Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Great forum

I have recently bought a 2002 Raptor and really haven't had time to play with it yet. The previous owner never spent a dime in maintenance so I am looking forward to overhauling this new toy. I run a snowmobile repair shop so I am pretty familiar with rebuilds but haven't spent too much time in the ATV's to know to brands weaknesses and what generally to watch out for on specific models.

My question may seem stupid but like I said I really havn't spent more than 1/2 hour on the bike.

When I shift it to reverse, I can not go back to first for some reason. If I stop the bike I have no problem going through the gears so it would seem that the shift lever and shift guide are OK. Linkage seems OK from shifter. Also, when the engine is running I cannot get it to neutral.

Before I tear it down for an overhaul is there something you all can sugest I look at?

Lastly, I read alot of reports about bypassing the rev limiter for reverse. Is there anyway I can just fix the backfireing problem. (in my opinion I should be able to rev this thing much more that it is letting me - hell, it's almost on idle)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
splice into the green/white striped wire and bridge it to the ground (black)anywhere in between the CDI and reverse sensor down at the front sprocket. your reverse light will no longer work, but your limiter is disabled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, things look way better.

I started to do the maintenance on the raptor and a simple clutch adjustment is all it took to get out of these tranny problems. Turns out that clutch lever was so bent in towards the handle that the previous owner had to really get the clutch out of spec just to be able to run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.