Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 that has been great, never had any probs with it until the past few weeks and I have started having a shifting problem. I can go out and get on it and ride all day and then all of a sudden it doesn't want to shift from reverse to 1st and it will also do it from 1st to 2nd. Other days I go out and it will do it immediately. I just got it out of the shop and they said that they couldn't find anything wrong with it (they didn't tear into it, just rode it). Like I said it comes and goes. As soon as I got home and unloaded it, I couldn't get it out of reverse. I did change from synthetic oil to regular a while back, but other than that all is the same. Any ideas?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have an '04 also. I sometimes have problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, until the rpm's drop a little bit. It doesn't happen all the time, but it concerns me when it does. When I shift from 1st to reverse, it doesn't always go in right away, it kind of grinds until I stomp the shifter again.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Weird, don't have that problem. Maybe your clutch is shot from using that synthetic.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
synthetic oil doesnt hurt a clutch. automotive oil can and will destroy a clutch. as long as your oil is for a wet clutch thats not the problem.
mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've ran 15w 50 mobil 1 synthetic in my last quad and this one, nothing has every happened? Oil is oil?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Most automotive oriented engine oils have some type of a friction modifier added to them to help reduce engine wear. That's great for your car but bad for your atv. The friction modifiers will cause most wet clutches to slip and not function properly.
Synthetic oil won't hurt your clutch as long as it doesn't have a friction modifier added to it. That's why most people just use an atv specific engine oil whether it's regular or synthetic since they don't have friction modifiers and therefor are wet-clutch safe.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
tony9631 said:
I've ran 15w 50 mobil 1 synthetic in my last quad and this one, nothing has every happened? Oil is oil?
i didnt know we had members from the special olympics here... oil is oil, no you are very wrong on that, there is huge diffrences from one oil to another. not to mention oils made for wet clutches and automotive diffrences. i think you should do some research on oil before making a statement like that.
mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had you done any work around the time the shifts were messin up? Handle bars, linkage?

Is you idle pretty high?

·
Registered
343 Posts
try adjusting your shift linkage. adjust the clutch to remove that from the equation. i know at times i've had to rock my quad to get it to shift into reverse. and you could be short shifting from first to second. can be hard at times with mx boots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE - Changes the oil and filter back to synthetic and have had no problems with the shifting since. Rode it for 2 days before rolling it, so am working on that damage now! Nothing major!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts