Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody encountered problems shifting into neutral. When my wifes '05 350 is cold, it will shift effortlessly through all gears and into neutral. When warmed up after 15-20 mins of riding, gears become stiff and neutral is difficult to get into while running, as soon as the bike is turned off neutral slips in no problem...oil level is fine (has been changed to see if that helps, didn't) and clutch is adjusted and fine..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
554 Posts
What weight and brand of oil you running?

That is a trademark of the 350 (like a lot of other quads), especially the being hard to find neutral, but usually you really have to run them hard and get them pretty hot before you notice it too bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought what I was told is a 2006 Raptor 350. Got exactly the same problem. Goes into neutral without a problem when it is cold. After 30min casual driving, there is no why you get it into neutral. Planning to change oil this weekend, will see if it improves.

Any recommendations on oil? The Yamaha ATV oil is apparently not that good?????

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
I usually use yamalube, it's good it's just more expensive than it should be.

Many owners with this problem have been able to smooth it out with shift linkage adjustments. Some have looked into direct shifters, I though I remembered hearing that a shifter from another atv would work. A honda maybe? Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Problem is solved

Got the quad last week (one year old). Could never figure out the oil level except that there was oil in. Changed the oil last night. drained just under 4 litres of oil out. Could anybody be so stupid? Replaced it with just over 2.5 litre and no more problem. Shifts like a dream.... ;)

It seems as if the gasket of the top front cover is leaking. Probably due to the over pressure of the oil. Should however be simple to replace. There should not be any engine damage, should there?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My local dealer says its likely the clutch gone bad, said the stock clutch is pretty much junk and to replace it with the Barnett...has anybody else had to replace the clutch after just half a season, this bike is near new, dealer told me they've seen 350 Raptors go thru a stock clutch in just a couple months on several occasions...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Never heard that before.

That goes against everything I have experienced/heard/read with the stock clutch in the 350. The Warrior/Raptor stock clutches are really good and compare to your upper end clutches. Of course you can get stronger aftermarket springs, but unless your Raptor is heavily modded it is not really necessary.

In a lot of other quads the stock clutches are not comparable to the aftermarket clutches. But I do not believe that is the case with the Raptor 350. Unless your clutch is slipping under a load, I do not think I would be to quick to change it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes go to the direct shifter remove all the linkage crap just get a shifter for a 199-06 yz 250 it is a good length and clears the stator cover well...and this my friends will help rid that notchy shift.. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts