1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 5 year old nephew is on a 250, But he is a big little man lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought my daughter a Raptor 90. If all your gonna do is rip around the yard then maybe the 50 is good for the price.But I wanted something a little more.The 80 may have worked but that quad is gonna be the step child of the mini Yamahas in couple years when you wanna unload it.My girl had a 50 and it was weak. I was gonna dump money into hopping it up but That was throwing more money away. I dont know how many 6yo can work the clutch lever on a 250.. But my daughter could not,so that was not an option. So I went with the 90. I figured I will still be able to get something for it in a few years when she moves up.Your prolly gonna lose money on it when you sell in a few years . But balance how much you lose to how useful what you have now is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
the fifty is basically a power wheels in my eyes. With the 80 or 90 you should get at least a year or more out off. I remember riding my friends Suzuki lt 80 when i was 14. So depending on size, experience and hunger for speed, maybe even look for a 125.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only thing is the clutch. Can a young kid pull the lever? My 7yo cant on our larger quads. I think there are some bigger quads without a clutch lever...but how long will the machine last if the kid starts using it? They seem to be the chinesse brands.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I started on a TRX 90 when i was 7 and had no issue. You can always turn the screw and give him less throttle. He will grow out of the 50 so quick. I don't even think a 125 is out of the question pending his motor skills, size, and maturity. Again, you can always give him less throttle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only thing is the clutch. Can a young kid pull the lever? My 7yo cant on our larger quads. I think there are some bigger quads without a clutch lever...but how long will the machine last if the kid starts using it? They seem to be the chinesse brands.
I'm not familiar with some of the newer offerings but i HIGHLY doubt an 80 has a clutch. Most likely auto clutch. I'm not positive but i don't think the 125's have a clutch either. Again back to my TRX 90, i beat the hell out of it as a young kid for 5 years the auto clutch never gave issue.

In short, i don't think it is much of a concern either way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would say go with a 90 to start. We have a Raptor 90 and after getting the carb set up, it runs great. We also have a Polaris Outlaw 90 that runs really well. The Raptor size is smaller than the Polaris. We moved one of the kids to a 2007 Honda TRX 250 EX. This is great for a larger youngster. It has their Sport Clutch. You have to shift but you don't have to use the clutch if you don't want to. Makes it easy to learn. If you dump the clutch, it will not stall the engine. Anyway, check out the 90's. I think you would be happy starting there.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Trying to decide what to get my 6 year old. I don;t want to have to buy another quad in a year or two so I was really leaning towards an 80 but there is a 50 for $400 about 1.5 hours from me.

Opinions?
Unless your 6 yr old is really big I would think the 50 would fit until they are 10-12. For $400.00 I don't think you can go wrong. With the name brands Yamaha, Polaris, you can always sell them for a good price later if you take care of them. There are young kids coming along all the time that will want them.

We got our son a Polaris Outlaw 50 when he was 4 and he is big kid for his age. The recommended age is 6 and up. I think it will work for him until he is 10 easily then we will decide if he needs a 80/90 or a 125.

You don't want to get them something so big they are afraid of it and then won't ride it or that it can get away from them and scare them.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Here's my son on his old modded 80 when he was 10

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I love to see kids riding young, and i love it when they are taught proper safety gear So many parents forget the gear!
I always make the kids ride with gear. Every now and then I forget mine ooops but if kids around I strap on every piece so they do.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Spider-Lōc;1010001 said:
I always make the kids ride with gear.
...I strap on every piece so they do.
+1!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts