Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Missouri and so when I buy the 734 kit from the Rocket Factory I am going to have to have a place from around Missouri install it.... but I have been checking around and its going to cost me to have this done.... So before i was talking about going with 734 kit but no porting.... I have changed my mind.... I am now going with the Rocket Factory 734 Kit with the mild porting.... So here is my plan.... Take the head and cylinder off the bike and send to RF and they will send me a ported head and 734 kit bore cylinder and a custom map for my bike..... Then me put it all back together... and do all of the break-in myself (With Mike (from RF) talking me threw the break-in) WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK...i would really like suggestions from guys that have done something similiar to this on their motor and wondering how hard it was to do.... I talked to Mike (the guy that does the porting for the RF) on the phone a few times and he is telling me that i can do it no problem.... I have a best friend that is a diesel machanic and he will be with me helping with all this also....

It will be saving me a ton of money doing the labor myself (and my best friend) , but i would really like to here from someone that is not a professional, and have them tell me how hard it really is to do this...
I would also like to hear the professionals ideas- you all think i am crazy or not....

Thanks Plattner

Sorry this was so long....

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I say go for it.. :thumbsup:

Based on what I have read on here about RF they would not steer you wrong, and it sounds like if you have any trouble they are more and willing to help over the phone..Plus if you have a freind who is a mechanic it should not be a problem..

Go for it and save some money !!!!!!! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Theres only one way to learn :grin_nod:. It will probably take a little extra time to do it yourself but learning how to do it would be well worth the effort in my opinion. I to have considered possibly doing one of the Rocket Factory Kits myself but I'm undecided which direction I'm going to go with my quad.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I like this idea of people being able to install the 734cc kits themselves. :thumbsup: I am going to put together a full instruction sheet and post it online, here on raptorforums and on my website www.rocketfactory.biz. I will also post our break-in process.

Just give me a little bit to make it complete. I will try and use pictures as well. Good Luck. Feel free to call with any questions.

Thanks
Jason LaPoint
Rocket Factory LLC
775-786-1372

·
Registered
390 Posts
Rocket Factory - that would be really cool :) I myself would like to look at that...cause i'am thinking of doing that to...

plattner = if you don't mind me asking how much will this cost you? and how much will you save?

thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Plattner i have the same problem with you, and there is no other way to do this. We have to put on the kit alone :3question:I Believe that it worth it
Rocket Factory, this is exacly what we are looking for, nice job!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
keep us updated. This is something i too have been thinking about doing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
id say give it a shot, and when its all together and your not sure about it, have someone look at the work to make sure its done right, and than youlld be ok

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Rocket Factory said:
I like this idea of people being able to install the 734cc kits themselves. :thumbsup: I am going to put together a full instruction sheet and post it online, here on raptorforums and on my website www.rocketfactory.biz. I will also post our break-in process.

Just give me a little bit to make it complete. I will try and use pictures as well. Good Luck. Feel free to call with any questions.

Thanks
Jason LaPoint
Rocket Factory LLC
775-786-1372
There 'ya go......Hard to beat customer service like that.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not own a raptor (yet) but I have worked on many motors, replacing top ends and all. My suggestion: a shop manual can be worth its weight in gold. Hell, I bought one on CD rom off ebay for like ten bucks.

Make sure you have a decent torque wrench, as all of the bolts you put back will have to be torqued to specifications, sometimes in a certain order. Some bolts in the head might require oil on them before reassembly. While you're in there, check your cam to make sure it is within specs.

Always, when you have your top end off and the crank case exposed, put a clean rag around the con rod so that if you were to drop anything, it wouldn't slip down into the motor (that would be bad). Especially when you are installing the clips for the wrist pin. Another thing I have always had to pay a lot of attention to is the placement of the piston rings, but there should be a diagram in the new piston box that tells you which ring goes in what groove, where to put the gaps, which side is up, etc.

Dude it's not scary, and it might actually be a lot of fun putting this together yourself. I always enjoy this sort of project. If anything, when finished you will have a much better understanding of exactly how your engine works.

Sorry for the long post, but I say go for it!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I would definatley install myself, If I know I can fix it, I'm not near as scared to break it. :grin_nod: :crazy:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Rocket Factory said:

Thanks
Jason LaPoint
Rocket Factory LLC
775-786-1372
Great idea, one of my biggest hesitiations was a lack of support in one of these kits. I'm not talking lack of customer service from Rocket Factory but a lack of support due to me living a long distance from where the work was done. I have a local race shop whom I respect but I don't think they have much R&D in the 700, mostly 450's. My concern was going either with a shop who isn't familiar with the 700 and paying them to do the work, or travelling with the quad a 1000 plus miles one way to have it done. But then I'm high and dry if something goes wrong back here at home with it. It would be great to have a detailed instruction sheet and support for the do it yourself install, now the 770 or the 804 when it becomes available? :crazy:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your support.... ha ha .... i guess if you guys say go for it... then i will!!!..... ha ha

Jason (Rocket Factory) - I know that we would all appreciate your instruction sheet on this. I think its great that you are willing to help us all, when you could be taking our money by you all installing these. Thanks Again... I will be calling you all soon to order... Aaron Plattner

I talked with Mike (The guy that does most of Rocket Factories engine porting) again the other day... and he was pushing me to install the kit myself also.... So i wll be ordering it here pretty soon...(within a month) and i will install it myself with Mike and RF's support and me best friend... and then i will let everyone know how bad/easy it was.... and then i am sure i will have some suggestions for everyone also....

Whoever it was that said "There is only ONE way to learn" ha ha ha you couldnt be more right..

Sclark - Just give Rocket Factory a call (775-786-1372) and they will give you an estimate... or PM me.

Plattner

·
Registered
123 Posts
let us know how it goes. good luck :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts